Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to set up my dust collection with a simple shop vac and squirrel fan and dust bag. I have a Rockler practically in my backyard but they don't sell anything for less than $29(feels like it). I'm looking for the Harbor Freight of vacuum stuff. Any good sites or sources for hoses and adapters that aren't stupid expensive.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
you can scrounge around at flea markets and pick up fans, controls, etc. you may even find a whole dc system!

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
separate out the items

I'm trying to set up my dust collection with a simple shop vac and squirrel fan and dust bag. I have a Rockler practically in my backyard but they don't sell anything for less than $29(feels like it). I'm looking for the Harbor Freight of vacuum stuff. Any good sites or sources for hoses and adapters that aren't stupid expensive.
Your best source...cheap...will be road kill/picked household uprights. Sometimes they still work and the smaller flexible hoses are great. There is an occasional shop vac along side the road on trash pickup day.

A squirrel fan should be built into a box with filters on the sides or one end an open on the other just for air filtration, NOT dist collection. Chips will cling to the fan and will get all clogged up ...don't ask me how I know.....

Dust bags are the least efficient method of filtration, but it's till better than nothing.

Dust collection is probably THE most discussed topic here. Check out the threads posted under that topic. You'll learn a bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts