Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 30 yr old band saw doesn't have any vacuum port for dust collection. It seems that the majority of dust collects in the lower wheel chamber. If I was to add a port to the sheet metal cabinet, where's the best place to position it?

TIA

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I was in the same boat a short while back. I bought the fitting and was looking around on here to figure out the best place to drill the 4" hole in the cabinet. Then, Marv was kind enough to show me his solution by fitting a 2 1/2" port right below the table. I hacked up the stock 1" port, and retrofitted the new one on there and it works like a charm.

This took me all of about an hour, including making all the little parts to hold the new fitting up there. I would try this before drilling a big hole.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
On a band saw I had a few years ago, I built a a box shaped deal, that surrounded most of the lower guides. It had a shop vac port, and worked good.
I had to remove it to adjust guides or change blades.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I saw where one person used PVC pipe and set a 90 elbow right underneath the table and ran a piece of pipe down from there where he hooked up a shop vac. He said dust collection was very good.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
I like Julie's suggestion. May try that. I made a port at the intersection of the blade and lower wheel. It works for the sawdust that gets to that point. There's still a bunch that comes off the blade at the table.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts