Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do very basic woodworking in my shed - really just a complete beginner, a hobby for retirement. I realized early on that the dust was going to be an issue so I've been rolling my saws outside to use them. I figured at some point I would look into dust collection.

A family member gave me a Jet DC-650 after finding out that I was messing around with woodworking (her hubby passed away and she had no use for it) so I gratefully accepted it.
I realize it's older, but I figure it must be better than using nothing (other than my shop vac LOL). I had to order the "inlet guard" on top as it was missing, so this is what the hose needs to attach to.
I have tried to figure out how to attach the hose but those little screws in the side prevent any 4" fitting from being workable. I don't get it. I must be missing something and hoping someone here can offer a suggestion.

Light Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Audio equipment
Tire Automotive tire Material property Gas Tread

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm not familiar with that model, or that fitting. That said, if you're trying to connect a 4" hose, you might be able to screw it onto the fitting, with the hose wire avoiding the screw heads. Second, you could use some ABS drain pipe cement to glue the guard, and remove the screws. Third, you could just remove the guard, which I assume is only there to prevent large chunks of wood from damaging the impeller blades. Finally, if you want to keep the guard in the system, move it to another location farther upstream- say, insert it at the other end of the hose.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Give me an hour and I'll have my son post a pic.
I have a DC-650 it uses a wire reinforced vinyl hose that is attached with a wire band clamp.
The other end I use a quick connect from Rockler.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I just spent $40 on the guard (yes, absurd cost🤪) so I definitely want to leave it in place. I assumed that it would be dangerous to operate it without the guard, but what do I know. I was trying to attach the hose that came with it, it's a 2.5" hose with a 4" connector. I just figured I was missing another piece or some other fitting. I don't have a 4" hose to try. There are a couple of extra fittings that came with it - one is a big pvc fitting that does go over the inlet cover but nothing else works with it. Maybe if I
had another of those I could make something work. I'll see what I can find online.

Automotive tire Gas Tire Font Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Light Tread Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part

·
Registered
541 Posts
Not sure what is going on there. It looks like you have removed the inlet valve cover?

This may work. It's 4.25" to 4". Wish I could find a 4.25" to 2.5". Then I could use the hose that came with it. Drat.
It's the way I bought it (used) . I'll look later

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm just getting into this. I have determined that manufacturers have a system where the cheap stuff is universal and then everything needs 3 expensive adapters on each side. Every tool I have is a different size. Ryobi must have 3 different inch and a half sizes. 2.5" vac hoses come in small, medium and large.

It's a racket!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just getting into this. I have determined that manufacturers have a system where the cheap stuff is universal and then everything needs 3 expensive adapters on each side. Every tool I have is a different size. Ryobi must have 3 different inch and a half sizes. 2.5" vac hoses come in small, medium and large.

It's a racket!
That's crazy! :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Seeing the handle there I assume you’re going to use it as a vacuum? Those fins aren’t going to do much to protect the blower, keep that in mind. I’ve never heard of one breaking, but when a shard of wood hits the blower it’s not a nice sound. If it has one of those felt type filter bags, they are terrible, quickly clog up, so I would look into upgrading that at least to a cloth bag.

Cyclones will save your filters, and small pieces of wood can’t get to the blower.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seeing the handle there I assume you’re going to use it as a vacuum? Those fins aren’t going to do much to protect the blower, keep that in mind. I’ve never heard of one breaking, but when a shard of wood hits the blower it’s not a nice sound. If it has one of those felt type filter bags, they are terrible, quickly clog up, so I would look into upgrading that at least to a cloth bag.

Cyclones will save your filters, and small pieces of wood can’t get to the blower.
If your are responding to me, there is no handle in my pics. That was someone else's post.
And no felt bag - it's a cloth bag. I will take a pic of the whole thing, later, and post it here.

If by "fins" you mean the inlet guard, that is how the system is sold - it's an original part.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If your are responding to me, there is no handle in my pics. That was someone else's post.
And no felt bag - it's a cloth bag. I will take a pic of the whole thing, later, and post it here.

If by "fins" you mean the inlet guard, that is how the system is sold - it's an original part.
My pic has the handle ( a Rockler item) it's a quick friction connect to whatever machine I hook it to.
I must be missing the inlet guard ..you do have to be careful what your picking up if your using it as a floor vac at times.
It's cheap bought used and cyclones are far better.
I did upgrade the bag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My pic has the handle ( a Rockler item) it's a quick friction connect to whatever machine I hook it to.
I must be missing the inlet guard ..you do have to be careful what your picking up if your using it as a floor vac at times.
It's cheap bought used and cyclones are far better.
I did upgrade the bag.
I'm not planning to use it as a floor vac (I have small shop vac for that already). Yes mine was cheap, free in fact LOL. I can't really put much into anything right now so I thought this would be good for now. I'm not familiar with cyclones, but I will learn about them going forward.
What bag did you upgrade to? How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Case in point... I finally have the right size adapter to stick in a Ryobi biscuit jointer, but the handle is in the way. Yes the bag goes on the od and if it was anything other than a bag it wouldn't fit. 🤦‍♂️
Bumper Bicycle part Composite material Wood Engineering
Helmet Automotive tire Bicycle saddle Vehicle Glove

·
where's my table saw?
31,739 Posts
As far as hand held sanders with goofy size ports, I've found this drywall sanding kit with several size adaptors works for every sander and every household vacuum cleaner attachment I have. The 1 1/4" flexible hose is lighter and more flexible than any I've found. it's a great deal for any woodworking shop;

As far as 4" dust collector fittings they are a mess also. You can always use a heat gun on PVC or ABS to shrink it down or expand it to slip over a "near" fit. I used two Harbor Freight heat guns at the same time to expand some 2.5" round PVC angle fittings under my instrument panel AC and heating vents on my Restoration Project '89 4 X 4 Chevy. I made a tapered wood plug to expand the PVC to the right size:

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm not planning to use it as a floor vac (I have small shop vac for that already). Yes mine was cheap, free in fact LOL. I can't really put much into anything right now so I thought this would be good for now. I'm not familiar with cyclones, but I will learn about them going forward.
What bag did you upgrade to? How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?
I believe it was a smaller micron filter then was stock at the time bag from Jet. I forget the cost but significantly cheaper than the expensive canister filter.
I may have got it through Rockler
My woodworker friend was just over helping me with a joint project ..The one I bought the DC-650 from.
He's got an awesome cyclone BTW
He said the exit joint from the collecter was just how he bought it.
And like I said earlier the working end with the handle is a Rockler item.
I just shove it in tight to whatever machine i'm using.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts

Oops 😆

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thanks. I just spent $40 on the guard (yes, absurd cost🤪) so I definitely want to leave it in place. I assumed that it would be dangerous to operate it without the guard, but what do I know. I was trying to attach the hose that came with it, it's a 2.5" hose with a 4" connector. I just figured I was missing another piece or some other fitting. I don't have a 4" hose to try. There are a couple of extra fittings that came with it - one is a big pvc fitting that does go over the inlet cover but nothing else works with it. Maybe if I
had another of those I could make something work. I'll see what I can find online
Shop vacs are designed for high vacuum/low airflow, whereas DC's are designed for high airflow and relatively low vacuum (static pressure). Using a 2.5" (shop vac sized) hose on a DC is not making the best use of its capability. Whenever it's possible for you, replace the 2.5" hose with 4" wire reinforced hose, or even better, smooth rigid pipe. Use the 4" to 2.5" adapter only if you must adapt to a tool fitting, and relegate the 2.5" hose to a shop vac.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts