Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas on building a lathe duplicator?
I don't want to spend a lot of money on one because I don't do a lot of turning. I have looked at the one that Rockler sells but it does not get good reviews. I have also looked at the one Sears sells and it doesn't get good reviews either.
So I am looking to build my own but need some ideas. Thanks for any help anyone can give. Jimmiebear:eek:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'm not a fan of duplicators. I don't think they leave a good enough finish and can't do fine details. However I do understand that a lot of people want to try one. All they really are is a platform for the tool bit holder. A raised tool bit holder with a V shaped cutter then some sort of follower that runs on your original. I've seen them made out of wood but the best homemade version I've seen was a metal post welded to metal gear. This sat on a wooden table supported by the bed of the lathe. Then the cutter was fixed on top of the post and a metal rod ran through the post near the bottom. The metal rod traced the original. Try doing a google search on homemade duplicators.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts