Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work yesterday and saw a headboard on the curb with the trash cans and recycling bin.

I pulled over to take a closer look and discovered that the headboard was solid oak.

I strapped it to my cargo rack and drove off with a grin.

After processing I ended up with a plank of 3/4"x14"x76"(one board, no guess up), another 3/4"x3 5/8"x 72", a few small pieces of oak in assorted sizes and six 1/4" T-nuts.

What goodies have you saved for re-use?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
78 Posts
Helped on a demo years ago saved 14 sheets of 3/4 mahogany plywood 10 sheets reg. 3/4 ply about 50 2x12's and 100 2x4's. they were headed for the dumpster. Certainly not my only save but by far the best. Good looking out on the headboard.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've got a solid oak dining table that had broken legs I snagged off the curb. Still haven't decided what to do with it...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eek! Nice scores guys!

And Pete, definitely keep your eyes peeled. You'd be amazed (and saddened) to see what folks throw away.

They just don't see the value of their "trash".

Those of use who work in the construction industry have a definite advantage but the rest of you just have to keep your eyes open and you'll score too.

I once worked for a large residential builder in the SF bay area.

We were closing out a sub'd and I was told to empty the shipping containers we had used for storage into dumpsters.

I confirmed with the site boss that these materials were "trash" and asked him when the containers had to be emptied for pickup.

I had been renting a room at the time and I had no place to put the goods but fortunately I was getting ready for my move back to NM and had already given notice.

I rented a storage unit for a month and stored the goods there until my move.

What they were tossing would make you sick.

Oak and maple cabinets, crown moulding, shoe, q-round, fillers and cabinet skins.

Also enough brushed nickel int/Ext locksets for my house, granite, travertine and marble 12x12 tile, 1/4" drip line and components, PVC irrigation and sprinkler components and Lord knows what else.

A OIAL score.

I guess they figured it would be more expensive to move and store the stuff than toss it.

Their loss my gain.

Reactions: gmalcolm
1 - 6 of 6 Posts