Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been cutting pupleheart and after sanding I lost my deep puple color. Is there a way to get it back without letting it age?.and if it was to age about long might it take

·
Registered
266 Posts
Put it in the sun, it will purple up right away. Then put some sort of finish on it - we use lacquer. We have some purpleheart pieces in our house that have been up three years with no change of color from the original purple.

Nancy

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
and if it was to age about long might it take
What Nancy said:laughing:, exposure to sunlight will make it purple again in a few hours....but too much UV exposure over time will turn it brown even black again. I would use a finish with a UV inhibitor if it is going to set someplace in direct sunlight.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Learn something everyday. We hear we are suppose to and I just did. I have worked with purpleheart several times. Used it twice in humidors, once on jewelry box, and another time on a medium sized blanket chest, and I never knew exposing it to sun would enhance the purple. I alwways kept it out of the sun thinking it would fade it.
On the humidors and jewely boxes the final thing to touch them was a scraper or hand plane and that always brought out the color better than anything else I tried.
The one time I used it where the sander touched it last was on a medium sized blanket chest and the acetone took the fade out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts