Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I wanted to share this project I made as a senior in high school many years ago. I was hoping that some of you who are more experienced might be able to help me with the value of this project of mine. Since I built it in high school more than 20 years ago, I didn't pay full price on the lumber. My total cost was just over $500, brass and all.
Let me give you the details. It is solid walnut through out. The front has three shaped panels, with square panels on the sides and center front. The sides of the panels extend to the floor where the base box is built up around them. The only place with screws in whole piece is in the base. All the rest is joined via mortis and tenons. Around the base is 2 inch brass tube with solid brass brackets, elbows and end caps,(contractor grade). The arm rest is from 2 inch thick stock that was milled out on the table saw, 1/8 inch at a time, then hand sanded and shaped. The back has 6 different compartments. Top left is a pair of brass glass racks. The center is 3 drawers that slide on wood tracks through a dado on the sides of the drawers. Each drawer has a solid brass knob. Top right is open. Bottom left and right are cabinets doors with solid brass knobs and hinges. The center bottom is a box within a box that is fitted into place and covered with a bit of molding. In other words, the wine rack is built within a 1/4 thick walnut box then slid into place. The rack also has solid brass screws at each junction. Other details are a brass towel rack on one side and a brass lion head bottle opener on the other under the lip of the arm rest, which is really hard to see from these pictures.
This project won first place in my school and I got 3rd place in the school district. I did not take it to the county or state fairs.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I'm not surprised you won. Nice work. What it's worth is whatever you can get for it. Retail maybe $1500 - $2000 depending on where its sold, just a guess. You could search free standing dry bars to see what they go for.

I have only a few comments on the construction. I would have made the bar top with more overhang, since you have a foot rail. For the back of the bar, the base would likely get kicked or scuffed up. I would have made a recessed toe kick there. These are just general observations to consider, in case others might want to copy your configuration.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts