Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to get a pretty sweet deal on a drum sander from an acquaintance. Which would be extremely helpful as I'm about to begin building my walnut end grain counter tops.

My question is regarding dust collection. I know for sure my dust collection system (Grizzly DC-650) couldn't handle the output from a drum sander. I recently got the dust collector for $50 and since I didn't have anything else for dust collection, and typically don't use machines that produce a lot, I thought I would be fine.

Is it feasible to just use a mobile base on the drum sander and take it out on the driveway when in use? Or will the dust clog the machine and cause issues if it isn't forced out by a dust collection system?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The dust can swirl around and get trapped between the wood and the drum and cause problems. That DC might get most of the dust out of the DS, if it's close-coupled. I tried searching that model number and couldn't find it, but I do think it has 30 micron bags. If true, those will be pretty worthless and containing the dust; so maybe rolling the DC and the DS out to the drive and running them together might do it? There are guys who run those (depending on which drum sander it is) with just a shop vac, so it at least deserves a try with your DC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dust can swirl around and get trapped between the wood and the drum and cause problems. That DC might get most of the dust out of the DS, if it's close-coupled. I tried searching that model number and couldn't find it, but I do think it has 30 micron bags. If true, those will be pretty worthless and containing the dust; so maybe rolling the DC and the DS out to the drive and running them together might do it? There are guys who run those (depending on which drum sander it is) with just a shop vac, so it at least deserves a try with your DC.
The dust getting trapped was my main concern. You're probably not finding the DC because I'm an idiot, and it's a Jet... not Grizzly. And you are correct about the 30 micron bags, which will be upgraded shortly as well as adding a cyclone.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No dust collection will ruin the paper in no time flat. If you have never used a big drum sander then prepare yourself for the amount of dust they make. I love the one I purchased earlier this year but jeaz-Louise. It makes some dust.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Your dust collector should be more than sufficient. I have a 16/32
drum sander and when hooked up to my DC I don't need to wear a
mask, but I do.

How big is this drum?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No dust collection will ruin the paper in no time flat. If you have never used a big drum sander then prepare yourself for the amount of dust they make. I love the one I purchased earlier this year but jeaz-Louise. It makes some dust.
I've never even been around a drum sander running, so I have no clue. But with the amount of dust my hand sanders can produce I would image a drum sander would be intense.

Your dust collector should be more than sufficient. I have a 16/32
drum sander and when hooked up to my DC I don't need to wear a
mask, but I do.

How big is this drum?
The one I'm talking about is 16-32, but there is also a 24" I have been eying.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Oh hell if it's a 16/32 or even a 24" no worries. I was thinking it was a larger machine with double DC hookups. My advice, take a good look at the conveyer belt and make sure it isn't all tore up at the edges, these machines are somewhat tricky to get setup, but once they are they run great!
I absolutely love mine and check out these guys to get your paper.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=22&f2=DRUM+SANDER I buy the larger rolls as it's a better buy then the Jet stuff.
Good luck!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
The one I'm talking about is 16-32, but there is also a 24" I have been eying.
If he has more WW toys for sale let me know. I live in Springfield but get up to KC about 3-4 times a year. I'd make a trip for the right toys. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh hell if it's a 16/32 or even a 24" no worries. I was thinking it was a larger machine with double DC hookups. My advice, take a good look at the conveyer belt and make sure it isn't all tore up at the edges, these machines are somewhat tricky to get setup, but once they are they run great!
I absolutely love mine and check out these guys to get your paper.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=22&f2=DRUM+SANDER I buy the larger rolls as it's a better buy then the Jet stuff.
Good luck!
Awesome. I know very little about drum sanders as I really never planned to pick one up, so your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

If he has more WW toys for sale let me know. I live in Springfield but get up to KC about 3-4 times a year. I'd make a trip for the right toys. :)
Anything in particular you are looking for? I keep a very close eye on CL. I lived in Springfield off of Cherry St. for about five years. Went back through on the way to Emenence, MO this spring and it has really changed.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Anything in particular you are looking for? I keep a very close eye on CL. I lived in Springfield off of Cherry St. for about five years. Went back through on the way to Emenence, MO this spring and it has really changed.
Nothing special actually, although for the right price I'd take a good 16/32 Powermax drum sander.

I've only been living in MO since Dec 07, when I came back from Iraq & settled in where my brother had moved to after he retired from the USAF. SW MO seems like a nice area. My wife have relatives who live on the north edge of KC, so we get up there a few times a year. And the Wood Show is in March or April I think.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing special actually, although for the right price I'd take a good 16/32 Powermax drum sander.

I've only been living in MO since Dec 07, when I came back from Iraq & settled in where my brother had moved to after he retired from the USAF. SW MO seems like a nice area. My wife have relatives who live on the north edge of KC, so we get up there a few times a year. And the Wood Show is in March or April I think.
If I have enough posts yet I'll shoot you a PM if I see any great deals.

SWMO is a great area. Lots of great camping if you go just a bit further south from where you are.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Doomi said:
If I have enough posts yet I'll shoot you a PM if I see any great deals. SWMO is a great area. Lots of great camping if you go just a bit further south from where you are.
I used to do a lot of camping when I lived in Colorado. Beautiful area up there as well. I've come to the realization than anything short of using an actual hard sided camper is not gonna cut it for me, much less my wife. Someday I hope to get a nice 26-28' pull behind camper.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts