Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for a better/ longer lasting brand square driver bit for Kreg pocket screws. Anyone? The Kreg brand don't seem to last too long without rounding out.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The one pice square tips aren't very good. Get the ones with the inserts. A lot of companies have them. HDL, Fastenal,etc...

Not sure if there still available, but they yuse to sell them color coded so you could easily find a #1,#2 etc....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The one pice square tips aren't very good. Get the ones with the inserts. A lot of companies have them. HDL, Fastenal,etc...

Not sure if there still available, but they yuse to sell them color coded so you could easily find a #1,#2 etc....
I am asking about a bit for the Kreg pocket screw... which I think is a #2... but not sure. It has to be 3" in length or longer to fit without binding (diameter) in a 3/8" pocket hole.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
not for Kreg stuff specifically, but I have bought $$ ones and cheepcheep ones. they all round off - I consider them a disposable item.

the Bosch stuff seems to hold up best in Phillips, square and torx - note I do not have extensive experience with all brands.
my son does millwright work - he put me onto them....

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-ITSQ235B-Impact-Tough-Square/dp/B07MRM38K4

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The type I suggest is what we use in cabinet shops. We've always used them since the early 90's I'm still using mine from the 90's. I took some to the furniture company in an attempt to start using better drivers. It worked and they still buy them today. They get there's from Fastenal..

But you gotta do what makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
The type I suggest is what we use in cabinet shops. We've always used them since the early 90's I'm still using mine from the 90's. I took some to the furniture company in an attempt to start using better drivers. It worked and they still buy them today. They get there's from Fastenal..

But you gotta do what makes you happy.
100% agree, one piece bits are not worth carrying out of the store.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can you show a photo? I am not understanding... will the two piece type work in a pocket hole without falling apart? Can you show me the two pieces?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's in the tip.....
Ok, I just didn't understand the 2 piece part. I thought you were talking about the bits that are 3/4" long that fit into a hex driver... which in my opinion are too large a diameter to fit into a pocket hole. Not to mention the bit occasionally falling off into the pocket hole.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To add to the confusion I have seen two sizes of square drive bits for each of the colors, one for uncoated screws and another for coated screws that is just slightly smaller.
Oh crap!

·
where's my table saw?
27,850 Posts
Indeed. two sizes!

To add to the confusion I have seen two sizes of square drive bits for each of the colors, one for uncoated screws and another for coated screws that is just slightly smaller.

That's the reason for the no. 2 in the Bosch link:
https://www.mcmaster.com/square-recess-screwdrivers/for-drive-style~square/square-bit-sets/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...SJ5cZD_bFhNZTWi58IxoC-tkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are called Robertson screws, after a Canadian guy! But Torx heads have come more into favor lately. I like them both because unlike the Phillips, they don't fall off your driver or "cam out" under torque.
Electricians use the small square size, at least I do .....:vs_cool:
http://theinventors.org/library/inventors/blscrewdriver.htm

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't know anything about different #2, but ours worked fine..I've bought Milwaukee , but Dewalts were better but none were better than the ones I suggested...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Somewhere along the way I discovered how handy it is to have some 6" long bits in the tool box, they often get you into awkward places where the chuck is in the way with shorter bits.
Yes, I found that a 12" phillips was very handy when working on cabinets... It finally rounded out, can't find a replacement.:sad2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts