Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i had some scrap wood that was part of a barn, being a newb at wood working i dont know much about telling the difference between woods. So i got to looking at one of the sites with all the different spieces and figured out the wood was red oak (got a lot of studying to do haha). Anyways I cut a couple pieces up and sanded them a little and saw all the pores in it and didn't think about it right then but is it a dumb idea to make coasters out of it? Figured the condensation from drinks would make it's way through the wood and defeat the purpose of the coaster. Is there any wax or something i could use to prevent this? Put a coat of polyurethane on it because that's what i was told to use on a wooden coaster, of course didn't think about the pores in the wood. Should i just throw them in my burn pile or what?
Here's a pic, thought they at least looked nice haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only have a handful, they vary around that size but are around 10/12 feet long. Had more but they were pretty warped which is why i left them, plus some had about 20 pounds of **** crap on them, but the price was right only cost me the diesel to get there and lunch to my friend who's wood it was

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Man how I wish I had a few hungry friends with unwanted wood.

Nice job. :thumbsup: Linseed oil, mineral oil, or any of the salad bowl finishes will work. Linseed oil may start to small bad if you don't let it dry properly between coats.

I usually give it at least 24 to 48 hours of drying time between coats of linseed oil.

Another possibility is to spray it with Spar Varnish. Build the varnish up with several coats or until it totally stops seeping into the pores.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing like getting free stuff, went and picked up some nice cherry cabinets sunday from my fiance's sister because they're redoing their kitchen. Going to hang some in my garage and build a couple work tables for my table saw and couple other tools, feel bad because they're nicer than the ones in my house. I got a trailer full of 150 year old barn wood, problem is like half is from the interior so it doesn't have the gray look people like but ill figure out something to do with it all.

I'll probably put another coat or 2 of poly on these and make a few more and try linseed oil and use them and see which works best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.