Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Incra table I picked up came with two plates, one pre-drilled for a Dewalt and Freud router. The 2nd plate was blank the owner drilled for a ryobi. I have a Bosch 1617. I placed the subplate onto the 2nd plate and there is plenty of space to drill new holes. The question is....How??

I was going to simply tape the subplate onto the incra plate, center it but eye balling and using calipers, mark the holes with a sharpie, remove and drill in drill press. BUT I've read too much and now want it perfect. Read there are centering cones but dont understand how that would work. I have a plate to accept brass bushings but don't have any.

Here is a pic of the plate. There are two additional holes at about 12 and 6 oclock.

·
Banned
615 Posts
Here's what I did when drilling holes in my plate. Set up a bit in your router, preferably one with a bearing. Set the router upside down with the plate on top, and the bit protruding so the bearing is in line with the plate. I then measured pdf of the bearing all around the plate opening to ensure it was centered. Also make sure the orientation is right. For instance the switch is accessible, bit changes can be done from the front, etc. clamp the plate to the router or if you can just mark where to drill.

this method may not be dead on accurate, but it worked well for me without needing additional setup tools. I used the bearing to measure from as it was more accurate then the rest of the bit. My flush trim bit was perfect for this.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
IrishPsych said:
...BUT I've read too much and now want it perfect...

Here is a pic of the plate. There are two additional holes at about 12 and 6 oclock.
It doesn't have to be perfect.

Your workpieces will reference either the bearing on the bit or the RT fence.

The biggest concern is proper clearance between the bit you're using and the plate insert.

Did you get any additional inserts?

The closest you're likely to get to "perfect" is a pre drilled plate.

No need for that if you take your time and measure carefully.

Relax!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts