Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions for drilling acrylic blanks? Do I need some plastic bits? How about those colt bits? They look good but there are mixed reviews out there. Sorry to shotgun blast the questions.

·
7,222 Posts
+1 about going slow.

I have Colt brad point bits, with the double spiral. I have only used in wood. I like them.

I also have Colt Maxi-Cut Forstner bit, also only used in wood. I LOVE these.

The reason for going slow is to minimize heat. If too much heat, the acryllic will melt rather than cut and you will not like the result.

I would experiment if possible on a scrap piece, to test type of bit, feed rate etc.

I would also slow down the drill press to about 500 rpm.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Even with the drill press at its lowest setting I've had blanks blow out due to heat build up.

My method:

1) never use brad point bits
2) slowest setting on the drill press
3) only advance the bit 1/4 inch into to blank before backing out
4) use WATER -- I have a few syringes I fill with cold water and dribble into the hole, each time I back out the bit I fill it up to the top with more water

You need plenty of paper towels, and there can be a little spray -- but you were wearing your safety glasses anyway, weren't you :yes:

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
I normally do it on my lathe, at about 500 rpm. Slow and steady, back out to clear debris often and you should get a nice clean hole.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Woodcraft sells a great bit. I believe they are Woodriver brand. Brad point bits are a must as they prevent blowout, especially in acrylic. Hope this helps.
David.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go slow,Back out often,keep tools very very sharp.....I even take breaks and go do something else to let the blank cool down. Heat is is NOT your friend.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Drilled over 100 acrylics, some guys go over kill with suggestions, literally sharp bit eject frequently, don't need to use water nor take a break, your bit or blank would hear would NOT heat up if you drill slow and eject your chips SIMPLE , brad point bit, never had one crack

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Lotsa good suggestions so far. I would only use blanks that are cast acrylic, not extruded. They look the same, but machine differently. I agree, any sharp drill bit will work if used slow. If you have a drifting problem at the start, place the bit to the mark and turn the bit backwards for several turns just to make a starting divot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All
Thats the secret go at a slower n steady feed on the drill press I found doing it on the lathe was not that successful unless you have the right chuck jaws to hold your work peace nice n square.
Good Luck
Huey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts