Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hacker of wood
90 Posts
Looks like a made in China bit that was actually used on something other than Balsa. I actually had some that would straighten out when used. No, I didn't buy them.

Tom

·
Registered
9 Posts
twist drill

Is that one of those drills that allow you to cut sideways like a router bit once you have drilled the initial hole?
I had one that had rasp like teeth to do that and seem to recall seeing one like this mentioned in a magazine

·
Registered
569 Posts
This might be a stretch, The only thing I could come up with, when you drill the full length of the bit, as you bottom out maybe it helps in getting it back out without having to put the drill in reverse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a set of long bits( 12" 14" ) The smaller bits are made that way. The flutes are just to remove the wood chips and So far they work on the bits I have. Dale :yes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, I have let you hang long enough. A few years ago I purchased something from Harbor Freight. Just for purchasing it, I got a FREE set of brad point bits. I didn't figure I'd ever use them and put them away in a place that I forgot about. Then one day I was going to drill some holes and ran upon them and figured I give them a try. I pulled out the size I wanted and was amazed at what I saw. This drill bit was a major screw up and was the best part of the whole set. It was so bad that I decided to pass it by seasoned wood workers like you guys, to see if what kind of response I would get.
It gave "made in China" an eye opener.:laughing:

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, I have let you hang long enough. A few years ago I purchased something from Harbor Freight. Just for purchasing it, I got a FREE set of brad point bits. I didn't figure I'd ever use them and put them away in a place that I forgot about. Then one day I was going to drill some holes and ran upon them and figured I give them a try. I pulled out the size I wanted and was amazed at what I saw. This drill bit was a major screw up and was the best part of the whole set. It was so bad that I decided to pass it by seasoned wood workers like you guys, to see if what kind of response I would get.
It gave "made in China" an eye opener.:laughing:
Okay Ron, you had your laugh! I can't wait until you ask a serious question :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts