Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new portable drill (old Makita 9v died).

I have a Panasonic 14v but need another. Would like the power of the Panasonic, but want a lighter unit.

Any recommendations? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a dewalt 12vL ion set and for the size it is really surprising. 9 times out of 10 I reach for the 12v stuff over my 18 and 24v tools, all are dewalts. I bought my drill and 1/4 impact driver as a set for around $125 I think.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I agree on the 12 v stuff for lighter duty use. I have a craftsman 12v Nextec set and an 18v dewalt set, I find myself reaching for the Nextec stuff way more often.

·
John
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Very happy with my Milwaukee 12V set. Compact, solid, strong. Almost bought the DeWalt but these were on way too good a sale. The shape of the DeWalt battery pack allows it to stand rather than lie down when not in use but that was the only reason to go yellow when I compared. I got the drill and impact combo.

·
SS user
2,688 Posts
Like john, I bought the Makita 18V Lion a few years ago. I still use the older Makita 12V NiCad, too. Like them both.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
I agree on the 12 v stuff for lighter duty use. I have a craftsman 12v Nextec set and an 18v dewalt set, I find myself reaching for the Nextec stuff way more often.
Totally agree. That 12v NexTecc is one great little drill. Plus several other items powered by the same battery. I also use it far more than my 20 volt. In fact the 20 volt seldom gets used anymore.

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Which other tools do you use George? I have the multi tool and love it...

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have a dewalt 12vL ion set and for the size it is really surprising. 9 times out of 10 I reach for the 12v stuff over my 18 and 24v tools, all are dewalts. I bought my drill and 1/4 impact driver as a set for around $125 I think.
I have the 12V Li Ion also. Drill and drivers. I haven't found anything better for the money.

I came into a NIB PC 20V that I gave to the kid. My 12V work just fine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check out the new Milwaukee M12 Fuel Brushless models. I am very happy with the power, weight and battery life on the M12. I have the Fuel M18 also and I like the light weight of the M12 for most needs.

Earl

·
Registered
885 Posts
retfr8flyr said:
Check out the new Milwaukee M12 Fuel Brushless models. I am very happy with the power, weight and battery life on the M12. I have the Fuel M18 also and I like the light weight of the M12 for most needs.

Earl
Yes the M12 those are the same ones I was talking about

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Which other tools do you use George? I have the multi tool and love it...
I I also have the multi-tool and also think it is great. I have however, mistreated it a bit. I used it a lot to clean barnacles off the running gear on my boat. The last time I used it I forgot to remove the blade and thoroughly clean it. The blade retaining bolt rusted in place. Lots of salt water soaking in that operation.

I had to drill the bolt and use an easy out to remove. Had me worried for awhile. Gave it a good WD-40 bath and all well now. Did not want to have to buy new own through my own fault.

I also have the flashlight.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts