Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing a research project for a class at North Carolina State University on electric (cordless or corded) hand drills / impact drivers. Right now my group (me + 3 other students) is trying to identify any issues with drilling / driving. If anyone has 2 or 3 minutes to fill out a 10 question survey, we would all be really grateful. If you'd rather just drop a comment about any issues you have with drills / drivers in the thread itself, that would be equally amazing.

http://www.elevatedesign.com/survey1

Thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
13,200 Posts
Good morning Anthony. George here. BS at NC State, Nuclear Engineering 1958.

Your survey is designed for the professional. It does not cover the "standard" homeowner/handyman who takes on home maintenance and occasional does small to major woodworking projects. home repair or even a total home upgrade.

I cannot answer your survey because you do not have answers that fit how I use tools. I may go many days, or even weeks without using any type of drill. Then I get started on a project and use it many times a day, just depending upon the project. I may use the drills that I own for working on a boat, my vehicles, a rental property on numerous other things.

I am curious as to the type of class in which you would use this survey.

Good Luck.

George

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
cabinetman said:
My thoughts too. Seems more like a marketing survey than anything else. Spam may follow...maybe not.

It's very possible C-man but we used surveys like this (not on the I-net :smile:) when I was in college. The main thing i took with me from that was how extremely easy It was to slant and pad results by how the questions were asked... just like national media!:laughing:

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...

·
where's my table saw?
29,385 Posts
My Milwaukee drill/driver wasn't listed either.... Is this a "serious" survey? :blink: bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
First, thank you to everyone who has checked out the survey.

I am in mechanical engineering at NCSU and my group is looking at tools, specifically drills, to see if there are any issues we could tackle to make the drill better / easier to use , etc. Right now we are just in the data collection and problem identification stages for the project, and next semester will be devoted to the mechanical & electrical design to fix any issue that we identify.

Sorry if the survey isn't relevant ... this is my first crack at it and I'll have to make some modifications. If anyone has suggestions for what I should include, I am all ears :)

Would a thread where I asked about drill problems have been easier?

Anthony

·
Registered
13,200 Posts
I have a few more minutes now then I did earlier. (I am letting some glue dry )

First, why would you pick an ancient (well relatively so anyway as electric tools go) tool like a drill to try to improve? I would expect that after all of the years that it has been in use that most problems/improvements have been thoroughly explored, and if significant, been included by the manufacturers.

You really have only one question concerning problems/suggestions that people have with the tools.

When I first read this survey it looked to me like it was most likely that you were in a class learning how to design a survey. Now that would be a useful tool. Too many surveys, even professional ones, just do not get the questions right for the surveyor to get comprehensive answers. When I was in graduate school I took a couple of courses from the Industrial Psych department that specialized in human factors.

George

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'll throw in my $0.02, perhaps it'll help you, and hopefully more people will agree with me.

As far as cordless drills go, I wish the manufacturers would spend less time trying to make the drill look like some kind of futuristic ray gun and spend more time designing better, longer lasting batteries. Also I would like to see manufacturers stick to a particular design instead of constantly updating and discontinuing older models.

·
where's my table saw?
29,385 Posts
I missed a word here...

I'm doing a research project for a class at North Carolina State University on electric hand drills / impact drivers. Right now my group (me + 3 other students) is trying to identify any issues with drilling / driving. If anyone has 2 or 3 minutes to fill out a 10 question survey, we would all be really grateful. If you'd rather just drop a comment about any issues you have with drills / drivers in the thread itself, that would be equally amazing.

http://www.elevatedesign.com/survey1

Thanks Anthony
You should have emphasized the word ELECTRIC
Come to find out you are asking about corded/electric drills not cordless battery powered drills.....Is that right? If so disregard my answers....:blink: I haven't used a corded drill lately, and then it was to drill holes for 12" nails in landscape timbers. More power in a corded drill. :thumbsup: bill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Survey is ok easy to answer. I teach an engineering design and development class at my high school that is along the same lines as your class and the students really get into it.

·
where's my table saw?
29,385 Posts
I guess I should have worded that better. We are looking at both corded and cordless drills ... so you were right both times :)
They are "radically" different in their use and application because of the cord and weight. In addition some guys buy a multi-tool set including a small trim saw and interchange the batteries, not so with a corded drill. You need to break down your survey into both categories.
Advice: The more specific the question, the better and more specific the answer will be. General questions get generalities for answers.
You really need to ask yourself....."What am I trying to determine?" Demographics, income, age, professional vs homeowner, durability issues, battery life issues, bit changing ease...etc... Make sure your questions give you the specifc answers you are seeking especially if a design proposal will be required afterward.
I was involved with more than a few surveys at General Motors Design, some were written and some were person to person. I ended up redesigning the Owners Manuals to better reflect the needs of the new car purchaser. Underhood warning labels were another source of confusion....too many and the all screamed Danger, when in fact there was no danger in some cases. ;) bill

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am in mechanical engineering at NCSU and my group is looking at tools, specifically drills, to see if there are any issues we could tackle to make the drill better / easier to use , etc.
I filled out the survey, but I'll tell you here what I think would make drills better: Bring back the keyed chuck! I hate keyless chucks! Before I started using one, I'd never had a drill bit fall out of the drill halfway into a hole! I also never lost a key, since I generally just fasten them to the power cord at the plug end.

Keyless are OK for drivers, but I can't stand them for drills. (Though now that I think about it, the keyless chuck on my old eggbeater drill works just fine. Maybe it's just that production quality has slipped. Or maybe it's that I can't spin the handle as fast as the motor in my powered drill can....)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I filled out the survey, but I'll tell you here what I think would make drills better: Bring back the keyed chuck! I hate keyless chucks! Before I started using one, I'd never had a drill bit fall out of the drill halfway into a hole! I also never lost a key, since I generally just fasten them to the power cord at the plug end.

Keyless are OK for drivers, but I can't stand them for drills. (Though now that I think about it, the keyless chuck on my old eggbeater drill works just fine. Maybe it's just that production quality has slipped. Or maybe it's that I can't spin the handle as fast as the motor in my powered drill can....)
That happens with the cheaper keyless chucks (the kind with plastic on them), There are better quality, all metal ratcheting keyless chucks that work much better. Better quality chucks can be found on more expensive drills such as Milwaukee, or I'm sure you could upgrade to a better chuck for your existing drill.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That happens with the cheaper keyless chucks (the kind with plastic on them), There are better quality, all metal ratcheting keyless chucks that work much better. Better quality chucks can be found on more expensive drills such as Milwaukee, or I'm sure you could upgrade to a better chuck for your existing drill.
Yeah... it's quite possible. The ones I have are fairly old, and were probably never high quality. Still, I'd rather have a key. It feels safer, somehow.

·
Registered
13,200 Posts
You should have emphasized the word ELECTRIC
Come to find out you are asking about corded/electric drills not cordless battery powered drills.....Is that right? If so disregard my answers....:blink: I haven't used a corded drill lately, and then it was to drill holes for 12" nails in landscape timbers. More power in a corded drill. :thumbsup: bill

What has the word ELECTRIC got to do with?

The drills are electric whether they are corded or cordless.

George

·
John
3,028 Posts
The keyless on my 18V B&D is always loosening up. The ones on my deWalt corded and Makita 18V are great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts