Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a drill press for the shop. What are the advantages over a floor model and a bench top?

·
7,222 Posts
Thinking about getting a drill press for the shop. What are the advantages over a floor model and a bench top?
Shop floor models are typically heavier, bigger motor horse power, bigger table, more spindle travel, more swing, perhaps more speeds. Obviously much greater table height adjustment.

I started with a bench top drill press and now have a floor standing.

If you have the space and money, I would go with a floor standing model.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dave Paine said:
Shop floor models are typically heavier, bigger motor horse power, bigger table, more spindle travel, more swing, perhaps more speeds. Obviously much greater table height adjustment.

I started with a bench top drill press and now have a floor standing.

If you have the space and money, I would go with a floor standing model.
Or, if you don't have the space, like me, you get the biggest benchtop one you can and build a custom cart so you can roll it into the corner when you don't need it. I am constantly running into limitations around the items Dave mentioned with my 12" benchtop. But, for me the mobility is critical. I do have a bolt on table top, which helps with table size. I would highly recommend that if you do go with a benchtop.

You may also be able to get a mobile base to do the same function on a stationary drill press.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I kind of have a different point of view on this one. Full size DP's, in my opinion, take up very little floor space. If you have a bench mount, that's space taken up on your work bench. If you build a stand for it, why not get a floor standing in the first place? If mobility is a concern, you can, like Tman mentioned, build a very short stand or dolly with locking casters and bolt the DP to it.

Another point in favor of the floor standing DP beyond Dave's excellent list, is that the table is usually at a more comfortable working height.

I've seen some excellent used drill presses on CL for a lot less than a new one would cost. A good one will last a long time.

Bill

·
Registered
85 Posts
I may be biased, but...

If you want a drill press that was designed with woodworking in mind, I'd suggest you look for a used Shopsmith. Besides being a Shopsmith nut, here are some logical reasons.

1) infinitely variable speed from about 800-5200 rpms.
2) designed with woodworking in mind. Every time I see an article in a woodworking magazine about making a jig for your drill press for some woodworking procedure, I think, "gee, my Shopsmith already does that" Has locking miter & alignment fence on table & table pivots
3) mortising accessories available
4) can do shaping operations
5) even better at horizontal boring...I think I use it horizontally more than vertically
6) you get a great 12" disk sander that allows you to move the disk to the work instead of moving the work into the disk (think horizontal drilling with a disk on it) Way more precise than moving the wood into the disk
7) you get a lathe as a bonus
8) they're on casters for mobility
9) Good used machines can be found for around $250-450

There's more stuff but I figure, since I'm a "Smith" guy, you'd only want some of the basics, also this kind of thing always seems to start one of those "Shopsmith vs separate tool" discussions, and that's not my point. I'm not saying to get rid of your separate tools, I'm saying that the Smith is a great woodworking drill press that can be had used at a reasonable price & has a bunch of "bonuses".

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Dodge nailed it IMO.

I bought and still have a bench top DP that I bought with space saving in mind.

After setting on a mobile base I realized it took up as much space as a full sized DP would have.

Doh!!!

If your budget allows buy a full sized DP and enjoy the extra versatility it has to offer.

·
Splinters
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm going to look at the floor models....now the search is on.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
you might want to look at the wood magazine index. they did a small feature a few years back addressing your floor vs. bench top question. they made some really compelling arguments in the article, none of which sound familiar to what i've read here.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You won't be sorry you bought a floor model..... Add a nice table with a fence, and you'll wonder how you lived without it....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a bench to DP about 10yrs. ago and it served me well. Decent power that let me drill 1 1/2" holes n oak with a Forstner bit. The table tilted and locked in place. I decided I needed a much larger floor model so I sold the little bench model. The guy's still using it and loves it. I would have kept the benchtop if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
toolguy1000 said:
you might want to look at the wood magazine index. they did a small feature a few years back addressing your floor vs. bench top question. they made some really compelling arguments in the article, none of which sound familiar to what i've read here.
I couldn't find the article referred to but these might be of interest.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...ill/tool-review-floor-standing-drill-presses/

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/drill/benchtop-drill-presses/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts