Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make some replacement inserts for my new drill press table before start using it & messing it up. I was thinking about just using cheap pine. What are others using for these inserts? Also, other than planing, what's the easiest way to get the correct thickness inserts? The original is 0.354". This seems like an odd size to me.

Thanks.

Mark

Attachments

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Yeah that is a weird thickness. Do you have access to a drum sander? Since you already had the planer covered.
Set screws in the table might be a pain in the rear, but might be doable. Whatever you come with, make a bunch!

Oh and let us know what you did come up with, for my mental file.

Right after I posted this, I had a thought! I know weird right. But, what if you routered the table deeper to a 1/2"
could be a simple jig to make, and then you could use 1/2" mdf for inserts.
Anyway just a thought.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crusader said:
Do you have access to a drum sander?.
I actually do. I purchased a 12" baby drum from Grizzly. That dam clearance room kicks me every time LOL. But I did get it for almost 1/3 off with VERY minor scratches and a nicked metal piece that didn't matter.

Crusader said:
Right after I posted this, I had a thought! I know weird right. But, what if you routered the table deeper to a 1/2" could be a simple jig to make, and then you could use 1/2" mdf for inserts. Anyway just a thought.
That might be doable. I may look into that option.

·
Premium Member
5,975 Posts
I want to make some replacement inserts for my new drill press table before start using it & messing it up. I was thinking about just using cheap pine. What are others using for these inserts? Also, other than planing, what's the easiest way to get the correct thickness inserts? The original is 0.354". This seems like an odd size to me.

Thanks.

Mark
0.354" is 9mm

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mine is also some weird thickness. I haven't made replacements yet, but I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to put in set screws or strips of material underneath to make it take a more standard thickness replacement once this one is too chewed up.

·
7,222 Posts
Make the insert from whatever wood you have on hand and rout a lip so that it fits in the space.

Grizzly using thinner material to save money.

A thicker piece with a lip works as well if not better.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good ideas here. I may try using the drum sander on some MDF the next time I have it out. I also "might" have to measure some if the scraps I have piled up again. I may have some of the 9mm stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If the drum sander won't work on the MDF (it may "rough" up the surface to much and make it not sit level) then I would probably used crusaders idea and route that baby to a 1/2 inch deep. Now you have a perfect application for MDF usage!! Scrap throw away inserts. Perfect great ideas guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts