Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked into mortising attatchment ofor my drill press before but had a difficult time finding anything positive. Would everyone here agree in that respect?

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have the Delta I use it on an older model floor type DP. It works well I have made 3 cribs plus other projects with it. It takes some finesse to set up and seems I always need the DP to bore a hole while it is in the mortising mode..

·
7,222 Posts
I have the Delta DP mortise attachment. It does not fit my floor standing DP so I had to install on my small bench DP.

I was not able to make the mortise chisel cut. My bench DP table was flexing from the pressure. I put a block of wood under to reinforce and it still would not cut.

I think some of the problem is my small bench DP.

I have read on threads about mortise attachments than the first hole requires more effort than the others.

This now gathers dust.

I purchased a corner chisel and have gone back to drilling a series of holes then cleaning out my hand chisel. The corner chisel does help for this.

·
where's my table saw?
28,733 Posts
Some folks like them

The issues are:
The drill press rack and pinion is not robust/strong enough for the substantial down pressure needed to make the first hole IF you don't pre drill it. The rack and pinion on a bench top mortiser is very large and very strong and the handle is a 5/8" dia solid rod which is 2X as long as a drill press handle.
The drill and chisel must be very sharp and have the correct offset to allow the chisel to work correctly and the chips to clear out. The set up is quite critical.
When I first set up my benchtop Powermatic, I couldn't believe how much pressure I had to put on the handle to get the first hole. I was so used to just drilling a hole and now I have to force the chisel along at the same time. It took a lot of down pressure.

Some folks like 'em..... But after making a router jig for mortising, I'm convinced that's the method I will use for many mortises in the same width stock. I make the mortise first then hand fit the tenon if needed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much what I thought, Ive made the mistake of trying to take the cheapest rout before and wont do it again. If I go for it, I'll go for a full mortising machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts