Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the t-shaped slots in the base of my drill press used for? I can't see how they can be used for holding material for drilling since they are way to far below the chuck. The surface they are in is milled flat like something is supposed to be mounted there however.

·
Registered
335 Posts
They are for bolting the drill press to the floor or a base. My DP had instructions to either bolt it to the floor or they specified a base size. A DP is top heavy so it needs to be stable.

George

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have a bench vise bolted to the base. :icon_smile:

After bolting the drill press base to the cabinet, I figured out how to use carriage bolts to bolt a plywood platform to the drill press base using those slots mentioned above.

So far, it has worked out nicely when I cut bolts, pvc or need to beat on something I have clamped in the vise. The base is removable, so if need be, I can remove it and bolt or clamp it to my work bench. Actually it is pretty handy where it is mounted and it's out of the way. I also grab it when I need to move the drill press around the shop. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are for bolting the drill press to the floor or a base. My DP had instructions to either bolt it to the floor or they specified a base size. A DP is top heavy so it needs to be stable.

George
That was my first thought too but then why the T shape, a simple slot would do. Also in the case of MT Stringer's drill, there are mounting holes in the 4 corners ( I don't) and yet he still has the T slots.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts