Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Treated Pressure Lumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Last evening, my Craftsman C3 drill caught on fire.
Several sparks and a lot of smoke pouring out of the rear vents near the level.
Only had the drill for 2 years, only ever saw light weekend use.
The smoke was awful, full of phenolics and other plastic vapors, - nasty.
My 19.2V battery is going strong, but this C3 drill is definitely shot.
I was wondering if there is a recall issued for these drills?
I am holding on to the defective drill in case there was a recall on the C3 Drill or somebody from Craftsman wants to look at it.
Can somebody let me know if there was a recall on these C3's made around 2012? Luckily I had a spare, since the batteries usually die before the drill, I had a drill from 2010 that is the predecessor to the C3 that uses the same 19.2V battery. This is the much heavier older 2010 or so model.

Best regards,

George

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
What were you drilling when it burned up. Some jobs are too much for a cordless drill.

After two years the warranty has long since expired. The only thing you can do is trash the drill and go buy another. If you bought another the same model you would have an extra battery.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Rut ro. I have one of those, maybe I should sniff it once in a while.

Don't let Al see this lol.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
So started on fire equals flames, what sounds to me happened is the motor burned up, which while not good, is very different than started on fire.

What were you drilling with (bit and material) and how heavily has this been used??

·
Uncle Fester
1,555 Posts
Maylar said:
Rut ro. I have one of those, maybe I should sniff it once in a while. Don't let Al see this lol.
It'll knock him off his kite laughing.

·
where's my table saw?
27,863 Posts
whatsatUsay?

no craftsman tool recalls on the CPSC website that I see. Probably just bad luck :/
No Craftsman tools on recall? Not possible since they are all junk. Must be a error in statistics or lack of Federal oversight.... Long live Craftsman tools.:yes:

I have a whole shop full of them, some from the '80's and '90's. A newer 6" jointer and a 10" Hybrid table saw, a real beauty and accurate. Also 3 Craftsman bandsaws, 3 Craftsman table saws all joined together at the hip. :blink: And a 4th for spare parts if ever needed....just sayin'

Go fly a kite Al. :smile:

Reactions: epicfail48

·
Registered
142 Posts
What were you drilling when it burned up. Some jobs are too much for a cordless drill.

After two years the warranty has long since expired. The only thing you can do is trash the drill and go buy another. If you bought another the same model you would have an extra battery.

Sorry - I DO NOT AGREE!!! A drill might die, that I can understand. But just catch fire like that??? I think that a call to Craftsman/Sears is definitely in order. Also maybe one to the CPSC. In any case, DON'T just toss the unit. Write down all the details you can about what happened before it caught fire, and then what you can remember of it's usage history.

Hey - it might be "just a fluke", but... I think some of those Chevy's that just stopped on the highway (due to the little problem with the switch...) were written off as "just a fluke".

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
No Craftsman tools on recall? Not possible since they are all junk. Must be a error in statistics or lack of Federal oversight.... Long live Craftsman tools.:yes:

I have a whole shop full of them, some from the '80's and '90's. A newer 6" jointer and a 10" Hybrid table saw, a real beauty and accurate. Also 3 Craftsman bandsaws, 3 Craftsman table saws all joined together at the hip. :blink: And a 4th for spare parts if ever needed....just sayin'

Go fly a kite Al. :smile:
Where is Al? He hasn't been here in a week.

·
where's my table saw?
27,863 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sorry - I DO NOT AGREE!!! A drill might die, that I can understand. But just catch fire like that??? I think that a call to Craftsman/Sears is definitely in order. Also maybe one to the CPSC. In any case, DON'T just toss the unit. Write down all the details you can about what happened before it caught fire, and then what you can remember of it's usage history.

Hey - it might be "just a fluke", but... I think some of those Chevy's that just stopped on the highway (due to the little problem with the switch...) were written off as "just a fluke".
I dont think it caught on fire... the winding shorted, some sparks in the case, and smoke/melted plastic. Theres nothing particularly flammable in a drill, unless its caked with wood dust (which could be responsible for the short)

It can happen, its not a danger to anything but your wallet.

·
Treated Pressure Lumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was drilling a small piece of cedar when this happened

Hello Steve and All.

Was only drilling a soft piece of cedar with a new bit. Might have as well been drilling any soft wood for that matter. Drill was only powered on for 5 seconds or so before smoke and sparking began.
I only use this drill for light duty jobs around the house. I have hammer drills and impact tools when those jobs are required.

I still have the C3 Drill , serial # and purchase information for my local Sears retailer, and the battery in case there is a way to get it replaced.
- The smoke that came out of the drill was toxic and choking, so I disagree with the above post about no harm coming from this.
Thanks,

George

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Well technically all smoke is toxic....but that's a different story.

What you experienced is the drill dying, no recalls that I've ever heard of, and honestly it will eventually happen to most of the drills out there. I have a dewalt that I'm pretty sures getting close to giving up the blue smoke.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hello Steve and All.

Was only drilling a soft piece of cedar with a new bit. Might have as well been drilling any soft wood for that matter. Drill was only powered on for 5 seconds or so before smoke and sparking began.
I only use this drill for light duty jobs around the house. I have hammer drills and impact tools when those jobs are required.

I still have the C3 Drill , serial # and purchase information for my local Sears retailer, and the battery in case there is a way to get it replaced.
- The smoke that came out of the drill was toxic and choking, so I disagree with the above post about no harm coming from this.
Thanks,

George
did you run analysis on the smoke or something?

I mean, I dont make a habit of inhaling burning plastic, but I dont think you ran to the ER or need to worry about impending doom.

Take it back to sears, see if they'll replace it for free... Otherwise move on and enjoy life, as stated up front, there is no recall for that, or any other, craftsman power tool. They do burn up on occasion, its not a big deal.

·
Treated Pressure Lumber
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yes, actually, I used to work in an Akron polymer testing lab and can distinguish the smell of burnt phenolics from burnt plasticizers we tested. I know how to run residue through a GC and list the report of what the contents of the smoke were, if you are so interested.
Normally, I would not be too concerned from smoke, but this happened to take place in my kitchen, while my family was in the proximity.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
But that's not the point...the drill didn't start on fire, the motor burned out right?? Electric motors eventually do that, yes it sucked it happened to yours, but that happens to all brands from time to time. What quite a few people are trying to say is unless the drill truly flamed up and burned, what happened is a typical failure.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Sorry to read about your "smoking " situation with your drill. Years ago ALL Sears Craftsman tools were guaranteed for life (not to say if it was the owners life or the tool life), and would be replaced FREE. Then Sears dropped the guarantee on all electrical items, & now any Craftsman tools have only a warrantee of a few months. Be thankful no one was injured and that your homestead is still standing. Be safe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts