Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get new drill bits - what I've got are several sets - there's a Dewalt set similar to this but with fewer bits:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...-Set-DW1354/202019930?N=c25uZ4j2Z5yc1vZ25ecod

Also, an older Craftsman set missing several bits, and a couple of outlet-store bit sets. Lots of dull bits in there. For just general-purpose use, mostly drilling in wood, what do you look for? What do you expect to spend? Are sets worth getting, or am I better off buying individual bits?

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
26,862 Posts
Drilling wood I don't see very much difference in bits. Personally I think if you have the basic drill bits I would buy individual brad point drill bits in the sizes you use most. A brad point bit will make cleaner holes in wood.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
While that set might be good for metal, I wouldn't use it in wood. Twist drills tend to wonder in wood grain and brad point bits solve that. To be honest, those bits have the split point and wonder less....but they can still wonder. I suggest you get a set of brad points, this set from Lee Valley is a very good one, and the set of 7 is all most woodworkers need. If you don't want to drop that kind of money, the individual bits are available.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I'm looking to get new drill bits - what I've got are several sets - there's a Dewalt set similar to this but with fewer bits:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...-Set-DW1354/202019930?N=c25uZ4j2Z5yc1vZ25ecod

Also, an older Craftsman set missing several bits, and a couple of outlet-store bit sets. Lots of dull bits in there. For just general-purpose use, mostly drilling in wood, what do you look for? What do you expect to spend? Are sets worth getting, or am I better off buying individual bits?

Thanks,
Harry
Hi Harry - For general purpose use those Dewalt bits are nice, the bullet tip reduces the tendency to wander, especially starting on metal. Downside is I haven't found an acceptable way to resharpen them. I use a set of B&D standard type (135° point) bits I've had for years and just replace the bits individually as they get broken or lost. I inherited a Drill Doctor from my father so resharpening is not an issue. Brad point bits are great for wood but almost exclusively for wood so they hardly fit a "general purpose" application.:smile:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a constant battle with something as simple as drilling a hole. Even with a pilot hole, small bits can drift from dense end grain. That's where a sharp set of brad point bits stand out. Rockler has a set for $40 that's well worth it.

·
Thumb Nailer
2,454 Posts
I have the Steelex 25 piece brad point bit set that I received as a Christmas gift several years ago. Looking at the Amazon reviews I must have gotten the freak good set out there because the bits are clean, straight and sharp... They cut the right sized holes where I put them... Yes smaller bits tend to break like every other brand... It is part of the nature of small diameter drill bits... They are simple enough to replace.

The Dewalt Pilot point bits are great, for metal work... They do tend to walk in end grain wood. Not a great choice there.

Amazon has the Steelex bits for a reasonable price... Steelex Plus D2305 TiN Coated Brad Point Bit Set, 25-Piece - Amazon.com

IF I had to settle for just one set for general purpose use, I would go for the DeWalt DW1369 29 piece Ti coated pilot point bit set, and a small punch to dimple exactly where you want the hole to go. The pilot point will follow the dimple, and in turn take the rest of the bit with it...

If budget were more cramped, I would go with the B&D 29 pc Ti coated set from Walmart. No pilot point, but no brad point either. I have the old version of this set, been working great for 25+ years!

Yes bit sharpeners are nice to have, and standard bits take to sharpening a LOT better than those with the specialty points... I have found though, except in the larger sizes, I tend to break bits, no matter the brand, before they dull out...

When you consider, depending on the size of the bit, small cheap bits go for about $3.00 or so a piece, if you want any selection on sizes, you are going to need at least 20 of them.... well you do the math. I find it cheaper to buy a set, and back fill the bits I manage to break.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wondered if I was the only person who breaks the small bits!! The amazing thing is that I rarely throw the broken ones away, they just sit there mocking me!

Harry

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I picked up a couple of set of the DeWalt bits from Big Lots a few years ago. ($10 each) I bought them for the case rather than the bits.

They are great bits for general construction usage. They seem to be much too aggressive for general woodworking. I don't even like to use them in the drill press.

·
John
3,028 Posts
I wondered if I was the only person who breaks the small bits!! The amazing thing is that I rarely throw the broken ones away, they just sit there mocking me!

Harry
That's another plus for the Drill Doctor. You can resharpen/repoint broken bits very easily. :yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts