Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you cabinet builders out there, I have a couple of questions about kitchen cabinets...

1) What do you use for drawer stock (sides and ends)? Mine will have an overlay with a false front added after the drawer has been built and installed.

2) What 3/4 inch plywood do you use for the base carcases when the ends won't be exposed and the cabinet is all drawers? I plan to skin the two outside ends (two cabinets screwed together).

Note: The face frames and drawer fronts will be painted. I am building face frames out of poplar. The drawer boxes and drawer bottoms will be sprayed clear.

I am looking for an easier way that is less time consuming. The last batch of drawers I made by gluing up pieces of poplar, planed them down to 5/8 inch, then cut to final size. I sprayed them with Deft. The end result turned out nice (see attached).

The big drawer was made using maple instead of poplar.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
For you cabinet builders out there, I have a couple of questions about kitchen cabinets...

1) What do you use for drawer stock (sides and ends)? Mine will have an overlay with a false front added after the drawer has been built and installed.
Mostly ½" Maple plywood, edgebanded and rabbeted. Or in the species of the cabinets.

2) What 3/4 inch plywood do you use for the base carcases when the ends won't be exposed and the cabinet is all drawers?
I like to have a finished cabinet inside and out. The client sees what's carried in their home. I might use Maple, or Melamine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would use maple instead of poplar. It is harder and won't scratch or dent as easily. Birch plywood for cabinet sides that are painted. It is about as inexpensive as you can get and it gives a smooth surface.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts