Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with my draw bar wobbling on the back end. I am concerned that the wobbling will effect my work.

I have a Jet 1221 and I am using a piece of all thread with a wing nut and a washer to hold it in place.

Any suggestions on how to get it centered better?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Make a wood wedge with a taper and a hole in it. This should keep the bar aligned. Imagine a cork with a hole in the middle.

·
7,222 Posts
I would replace the wing nut with a nut with a plastic lock collar. I am presuming vibration during turning is causing the wing nut to some loose.

The plastic lock collar nut should stay in place. It does mean using a wrench to remove, but at least the drawbar should stay in place.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
A draw bar does nothing but keep things from flying out of your MT. Your MT is what keeps the chuck or whatever your using centered. I dont see any way the draw bar not being perfectly centered can affect a turning. Wobbling could be a result of the threads in the chuck not being perfectly tapped or as mentioned earlier, problems with your wing nut. Either way, I personally wouldnt worry much about it as long as its not coming loose. If it is coming loose then it would allow your chuck to move in the MT.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I agree with the others that a wooden or plastic plate at the rear may help.
I assume you are using it in the tailstock; if so are you locking the quill down tightly each time? Even if the MT is seated properly the entire quill can move if not locked.

·
Yea i got wood
3,016 Posts
I am having some issues with my draw bar wobbling on the back end. I am concerned that the wobbling will effect my work.

I have a Jet 1221 and I am using a piece of all thread with a wing nut and a washer to hold it in place.

Any suggestions on how to get it centered better?
the way i read this your washer is not centering perfect on the back of the headstock and it wobbles
i sure cant see that mattering but if it does do like the others said

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
the way i read this your washer is not centering perfect on the back of the headstock and it wobbles
i sure cant see that mattering but if it does do like the others said
Thats how I read it too. Mine is never centered. Ive never given it a second thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts