Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Splinter Cushion
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my latest endeavor is to make more creative, artistic things to sell at a local artists' market (no fees to sell there!). I like to play with things besides wood, like stained glass, wire, w/e.

The bodies are turned, the butterflies are a basic 'bullet' shaped body, but the dragonflies have heads, torsos and tails.

It's pretty basic as far as woodturning goes, but I wanted to see what you guys think of them. I hope you like them! :thumbsup:

IMAG0484.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think those are really cool. I work with a guy that does stuff like that. He never thought of selling them when I asked him. His are all metal. He made a pig out of a sm propane tank, and a praying mantis from an inner tie rod end out of a chevy truck.
I like the wood and glass in yours. Much more interesting and eye catching.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Those look sweet! I've seen stuff similar at Flea markets go pretty fast up here anyway. Good luck

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Marketing for a good cause

b00k,very neat...........just a thought since you mentioned selling:Look for any local High schools or better yet sm colleges in the area with team logo's or mascots in the form of flying objects.Small college near here are the Hornets..........giving the school their "cut" of course,you couldn't make-m fast enough.The folks attending athletic events would buy you out.Team colours,ribbons,date,big events are just some of the ways to make them different.........you might make some good contacts.Best of luck,BW

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Dano,
Those are cool. You might want to make a few without the little balls on their feet and just put a teeny 90degree bend at the end of each so you could hook them on a window screen. My wife has a spider like that hooked to the screen on the window over the kitchen sink. Looks pretty real.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Dano, those are awesome. I started with stained glass before I got into turning. I may have to pull out some of the old stuff and make a few of those. Nice Job!!!

John

·
Splinter Cushion
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everybody!

When I make enough stuff to sell at the Artist's Market, we'll see how popular things like this are. I haven't been able to find anything like them, so I think they are pretty unique.

I'll have to come up with some more interesting ways to use glass and wood together.

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,385 Posts
Sorry I missed this thread earlier. Those are definitely awesome. I really like the design and shape of them. I have a fishing lure that is a handmade dragon fly and very similar and I like it so much that I can't bring myself to risk losing it in the lake, hence, it has never seen the water. I'm loving the dragonflies. Would make a really cool Christmas ornament!!! Just out of curiosity, how big are they?
Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts