Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Oh for the good old days. Makes me think I should get back to some manual drafting. I remember having a decent drafting table at one time, but apparently left it at a previous house when moving.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Most parallel bars have a set of tension knobs that keep the bar from falling.
I still use a drafting board that is 4ft x 3ft, and have refused to go over to CAD. Been an architect for 30+ years.

Side note, those curly light bulbs are now proving to cause eye damage when used for reading (or in this case, drawing). Get rid of it and go incandescent or a specialty bulb.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The problem with my current students is that despite having PCs on their desk and expecting them to do all their drawing on them no one teaches them drafting any more. I see problems every day that could easily be solved with a little clever drafting.

·
Rustic furniture
1,197 Posts
Yup.
There are times where a laptop won't help them. There are also times where a laptop is superior in 3D features (even though I do that with pencil sketches.
Also CAD can allow for mistakes. Drafters assume(and we know what that means) that the program is always correct. It is only as good as the user.

I saw a CAD drawing once with a stairs to the 2nd floor that ran right into a wall. No way up. One of many mistakes I have seen over the years.
Most will claim time savings, yet I'm quite quick at drafting and can generally do a job faster on a board than a CAD architect.

I had a race with another 40 yr pencil architect to draw a 3 bdrm ranch house, full working drawings. We had 6 ranch homes to draw for a subdivision. I did mine in 7.5 hrs, but he beat me and did his in 6 hrs.. These were complete with all sections, floor plans, elevations, foundations, plumbing, full notes, etc. I've never seen a CAD architect put out a house in one day.

CAD to me is a non starter, but I understand the desire for it.
I went into architecture for the artistic side of things and to put pen/pencil to paper. Not to sit at a computer. I minored in art in college.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts