Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly annoyed that my rolltop desk lacks good lighting on its working surface AND inside the two upper drawers. So I plan to install a down-facing strip light on the front edge of an interior board, as indicated by the yellowish doodle line in the main attached photo. The power cord will snake up inisde under (inisde) the roll top, via the lower of the two holes in the smaller photo. The upper hole exists because I did not draw out how the rolltop actually worked before making the upper hole :-(

Has anyone already done a project like this?

Cabinetry Wood Shelf Shelving Automotive exterior

Wood Audio equipment Wood stain Musical instrument accessory Hardwood

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I don't have a roll top desk but I can sympathize with your need for light in yours. You might want to put a bar in front of the light strip so you don't see it, but the light does cover the desktop. Nothing worse than having to look straight at a glowing light. 4D

·
Super Moderator
Retired Craftsman
5,563 Posts
I guess it would be simillar to any situation where you have an "over-hang" that blocks the ambient light. I affixed two thin 18" LED strip lights underneath the apron of my work table and it is PRICELESS to me. In your project, you would have to find a way to block the direct glare into your eyes - some kind of shield or something.
Table Furniture Wood Interior design Drawer

You could probably find short runs of the "flat strip" at your local Box Store and definitely OnLine - cut it to your size.
Cabinetry Wood Flooring Gas Varnish

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup - the glare shield - I did that for a fluorescsent above my garage workbench - I simply screwed a spare 2x2 aluminum angle in fromt of the light fixture - works great.

The image below was taken years ago, before I added the white HDPE work surface (you can see a piece of the material inthe left of the photo - we had bought it for a vaccum forming project).

Electrical wiring Gas Engineering Machine Plant

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2 12V stick on strips in our A-frame camper - on an overhead closet rod near the peak - great lighting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It may be hard to retro-fit but when I built my roll-top I built in puck lights. They are the low voltage type with a touch 3 position dimmer. The only problem I have had is that my lap-top, when in the open position comes close to the lights in the center section. I have a couple of melted areas on the lid from being too close to the lights.
Brown Table Cabinetry Furniture Picture frame

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was all set to finish it - and - the 12V power supply that I had bought was a dud!

So I re-ordered 20 for the same price!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts