Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I building a bed frame out of red oak. I'm using 2x6 side rails and attaching a 2x2 on the inside for the box springs to sit on. I planned on using dowels to strengthen the joint between the 2x6 and the 2x2. The frame rail is 81" long. Anyone have any suggestions on the spacing of the dowels?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Since the inside box spring rail won't be seen I'd go with counter sunk #12 brass or SST 2 1/2" screws every 10". They'll pull and hold the 2 pieces together, nothing like course screw threads for gripage.

The hardest dowel stock I can get is birch, dowels work great when they interlock by crossing through both pieces like tenons.

If you're adamant on doweling I'd still use some course thread wood screws to hold it together.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've made a number of beds. I've always used a 1x2 or 1x3 to support the slats and it works great (I'm 300+ pounds). I think a 2x2 would be more prone to failure since it sticks out farther. I glue it and use those Kreg pocket hole screws at about 8" centers.

I would also just use a 1x2 (3/4"x2") or a 1x3 (3/4"x3"), as it's just a step, and doesn't need much width. I would use a countersunk piloted hole for a 2" coarse thread screw. Having the screws driven through the face perpendicular to the rail will provide a better fastening. IMO, pocket screws are a waste of time.

·
New Guy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I haven't been updating you guys. I ended up using Ghidrah's idea. I used screws and dowels.

Currently I am in the finishing stage. Sorry I haven't been posting pics.

I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.