Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi,
I'm a beginner and need to know what would be a good dovetail jig to get.
Thanks
their are lot's of them out their, lot's of them are hard to set up, lot's of messing around , pin's not tight ect, the jig that i use is in my opion the best and never have to mess around with it, right out of the box you will get perfect fitting , their are 2 things to set up and that is it , you cut both dovetales and pin on the same unit, now for the best is to have 2 routers and 2 tables, one for dovetales and one for pin's , this just saves time , now this cost a few $$'s but if you are going to make lot's of box or drawers , than this will be worth it, i make jewelry box for i guess 5 or more yrs and used it every day so i have to work fast, and not mess around with setting up, at the time i bought the 2 router and tables they has a combo set for $100 so that wasent bad price , 1 table 1 router, these are still going today , i have made over 500 or so box's and other item's. here is the link , now they have different size of dovetale's , i use the A10 model , good luck the link http://www.japanwoodworker.com/Product/155566/A10-Box-Makers-Dovetail-Jig---Gifkins.aspx

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the Porter Cable 4216 and the Leigh D4R pro. I love the simplicity and ease of the PC jig, however the Leigh gives you more options as far as making custom fit dovetail joints (templates, sizes, offsets, etc). The PC is a lot cheaper and smaller but I love the Leigh jig.

Here is a link to a fairly current discussion of the various jigs or methods you may find useful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts