Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to make a last minute Xmas gift for my sis. A pen holder / box she can use at her desk at work. If she likes it I’ll make her a matching “in box” for her birthday in Jan.

The sides are Poplar and the posts / bottom is Oak.

Here’s the box sanded after a mineral spirits wipe down. I still need to finish it with some wipe on poly.

And here are some pics on the production:

Here I’m using a straight bit on the router table to “thickness plane” the bottom.

·
Registered
12 Posts
very nice work

very nice. i would say that your second attemtp is very succesfull box.
As I understand you glued first dovetale and cut a have dovetail after?
Is this is correct?

thanky for showing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup. Incra calls this a corner post dovetail. It's basically a variation of a half blind dovetail. The result is pretty cool and symmetrical.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That is just amazing - I am still trying to learn how to do it the regularly way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Even with the sharpest of hand tools, trying to attempt something like that would have been a feat in its self.
What a great way to using lesser expensive and more abundant materials and bringing in a sense of quality by adding a more desired hardwood.
This is an inspiring project.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Here’s an interesting side note. The HUGE incra “Master guide” and templates don’t come with instructions for this joint. They call it a “corner post dove tail”. It’s in the manual to the Incra positioner that Rockler sells. There’s a link to the manual here:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?...bSelect=Details

It's basically a variation on a half blind dovetail and was not too difficult to accomplish. The good thing is the joints are symmetrical unlike a typical half blind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here’s the pen holder all finished…

Finish was all wipe on:

2 coats of Watco Danish Oil (natural)

1 coat GF seal a cell

4 coats GF gloss poly

1 coat GF semi gloss poly

Final buff with 0000 steel wool and wax

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sweet joinery, very impressive. Not to disrespect... but I just think a project like this deserves a higher status, or title than 'pencil holder'. Maybe something like "Exquisite writing utensil cabinet". Awesome work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys. I'll be working on the matching "in box" over the next few weeks. I'll post some pics once it's done...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts