·
Old School
24,027 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the background:

We are making door panels for an integrated refrigerator in a custom kitchen. The panel material is 5/8 MDF with a factory-applied high-gloss lacquer finish and the matching PVC edge banding is only available without adhesive. It is intended for machine application. We have used spray-on contact cement in the past, which is messy to apply and can give inconsistent results on MDF. This 3M tape looks like a good alternative and the 3M brochure shows its specific application to edge banding.

Thoughts please.

Doc Larry

·
bzguy
581 Posts
Door panels for refrigerators are usually 1/4" with a metal lip on the fridge to hide edges, so I'm assuming this is not the case.
The 3M product is .1 MM thick, so it should disappear?
Contact adhesive works well for me with contact cleaner, trimming is the critical factor.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the background:

We are making door panels for an integrated refrigerator in a custom kitchen. The panel material is 5/8 MDF with a factory-applied high-gloss lacquer finish and the matching PVC edge banding is only available without adhesive. It is intended for machine application. We have used spray-on contact cement in the past, which is messy to apply and can give inconsistent results on MDF. This 3M tape looks like a good alternative and the 3M brochure shows its specific application to edge banding.

Thoughts please.

Doc Larry
I've always used solvent based contact cement with excellent results. Contact cement can be sprayed from an ordinary siphon spray cup and gun with no tip modification. The tape can be stuck face down on anything even cardboard with double sided tape mounted perpendicular to the PVC. This keeps the cement off the face of the tape.

Cutting out an opening in a substrate like ¼" plywood to hold against the MDF keeps the glue off the faces. You could be careful and brush the glue on the edges. Spray can contact cement for this procedure is not one I would recommend.

If, you want to try the 3M double sided tape, give it a shot. I have my doubts it would stay stuck to MDF edges very well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts