Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a double pocket door that I installed some time ago. Since I couldn't think of any way to stop each as they approached the center point, I put some long screws in that stop the rollers on top at the header. This normally works, unless someone gets a little too forceful and then the bottom slips out of the pocket! Basically what happens is the door cocks, allowing the bottom to come out. Any ideas on how I can resolve this without ripping into the drywall?

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
The bottom of the door has two plastic rail guides that are adjustable. One on each end of the bottom of the door.

If yours does not (left off during installation or broke off over the years), make a couple from wood and set the depth of them so that they barely clear the top of the bottom track inside the pocket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the plastic guides installed, but the door passes beyond them when it racks over. Basically think of the bottom going further than the top and that's what happens. If I put the plastic over the outside of the trim it would probably work, but then it would look pretty bad too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
double pocket door stop

I do trim work and when confronted with double pocket doors I hope that the door supplier provides me with a kit that conjoins the frames but when not I make a wood block that fills the track to stop the doors. Just trying to help

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,674 Posts
Basically think of the bottom going further than the top and that's what happens.
I know exactly what you are experiencing. When the "bump" happens, it's the front roller on top that gets thrown out of the track. ottomn back of the door that needs the most attention. Whatever way you need to deal with it.

Unless there is a special situation i cannot see the top roller in the front has too much room above it which allows the bottom one to jump. They work together eh?

·
Registered
164 Posts
the trimmed opening is probably close to 1/4" too big as no matter what type of stop is used the doors will experiance some bottom movement when contacting said stop. the plastic guides not only guide the doors but also should keep the door from coming out at the bottom.what i would do is to make some thicker door stop that the guides mount to to make up the slack....does that make sense? probably an 1/8" thicker would do

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, that might be the only answer, replacing the stops with thicker material. I think I used 1/4 stops, so I don't know what is available thicker. Maybe I can put another trim piece over the stops like a corner round or something. I'll have to play around and see what would look okay. The only other thing I was thinking about was to make a wedge like piece out of Delrin(sp?) or some other plastic and attach it right above the roller so that it can't raise up at all, but I'm not sure if that would work. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may not work, but how about adding a small extension block to the back of the door at the bottom thereby making the door wider at the bottom
it may just be enough to stop the door from leaving the pocket completely
the doors I have installed usually have at least 1/4 inch between the door and the back of the pocket where the door stop is

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may not work, but how about adding a small extension block to the back of the door at the bottom thereby making the door wider at the bottom
it may just be enough to stop the door from leaving the pocket completely
the doors I have installed usually have at least 1/4 inch between the door and the back of the pocket where the door stop is

You're a genius! I actually like that idea. I think the rubber stop in the pocket frame is close to 1/2", so I might be able to cut a small piece of wood and tack it on the back side. Fortunately I used trim screws on all my pocket doors, so removing the trim won't be too bad. I'll post back and let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know if you have enough room but you might be able to move the stop block in the center of the upper track over so that the door still catches the bottom guides. Sometimes the door stop in the center of the track lets each door go a bit past center and can be made to stop the doors sooner keeping the door from coming out so far. There are different tips of guides for the bottom of the door that are wider and the door to be opened further. I'm sure you have already tried all of these things, I just know that I have missed seeing the simple obvious solution so many times in my life.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I always take a few minutes on a table saw to fashion a wooden stop block of proper length to contact the rollers on each door to stop them at center, then drill and countersink it to receive a couple of long drywall screws to hold it in the track. I have come across many attempts over the years where someone tried to use a screw for a stop, and they were all failures. At this point, I don't know how you could prevent the door from rocking out of the pocket when pulled too hard, except the previously mentioned bottom guides that stick out about 3/8" beyond the jambs. I am extremely anal (more than usual) about setting up pocket doors, and it has become an accepted idea that I will personally do all pocket door installations. Avoiding the little problems like you have is the key to them not being a thorn in your side for a long time in the future.

·
Registered
14 Posts
pocket door

you say that the bottom of the door comes out more than the top. thats either the top is not level and the sides are not plumb.thats your problem im my eyes.and the plastic guides work well.also the jambs on the side should be about 3/4 ' past the doors thats why there are rubber bumpers installed before install.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you say that the bottom of the door comes out more than the top. thats either the top is not level and the sides are not plumb.thats your problem im my eyes.and the plastic guides work well.also the jambs on the side should be about 3/4 ' past the doors thats why there are rubber bumpers installed before install.
Everything is plumb, level, and square. The problem is that the rollers (and door) can move up if lifted. This is what happens when someone decides to use more than necessary force to close the door. This is never a problem on a single pocket, since the entire edge of the door hits against the jamb at the same time (top to bottom), whereas with a double-pocket, the top center is the only acting stopping force involved. Hope that explains it better for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts