Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Woodworking Novice
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me, I can't figure out how this double action hinge is supposed to work (top hinge in photo). It is supposed to allow a panel, such as a door, to swing both directions. Out of the box, it only has 1 place it pivots, so I assume that I am supposed to take it apart and reassemble it. The only thing I've found that would work is the lower-left configuration, but I don't think they meant me to have parts left over (lower-right). :wallbash: Can someone explain it to me?

Attachments

·
Woodworking Novice
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh

Thanks, I had looked at that, but it mostly made my confusion more firm. In the triple pane drawing, the middle one shows there is no pivot on the left side, then in the right drawing it shows the left side pivoting and no pivot on the right side! lol

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Thanks, I had looked at that, but it mostly made my confusion more firm. In the triple pane drawing, the middle one shows there is no pivot on the left side, then in the right drawing it shows the left side pivoting and no pivot on the right side! lol
Try this explanation. It's better detailed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Trust me, they work. They are a total [email protected]#$ to wrap your head around, but just attach the screws in the countersunk holes, and they will work.

The centre brace allows the top half to pivot one way, and the bottom half to pivot the other, one cannot open if the other is already opened, and they can only switch which way it pivots when returned to dead centre. They do NOT need to be taken apart.

Just screw them to two pieces of wood as directed, and you will realise that they work, whether you understand it or not.

Simon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts