Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Alan Sweet
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front doors to my church are exposed to the elements 24 hours a day; direct sun 6-8 hours a day, rain 2-3 times a week, our area of Alabama gets lots of mold and fungus growth, not to much cold weather. It seems like every couple years they strip down the doors and stain them. It always is done by volunteers from the church so who knows how many different approaches have been taken over the years. The wood is mahogany; looks like Honduran Mahogany, but they are over 20 years old and look in great shape.

Is there type of out door protection that can be put over the stain? They use a dark stain stain. From experience, I would say if nothing is done, I will start noticing a fade in about 8 months. Within a year, I would say it is definitely noticeable. After 18 months, it start looking like it need to have something done. I would like to help by buying and applying some protective surface which can prolong the time between the need to refinish.

Any ideas or suggestions? The doors can not be protected by any type of structure.

·
Registered
27,642 Posts
You might coat over the stain with "Sun Block" offered by Kwick Kleen. It's like a sun screen for wood. Then for the finish a marine grade spar varnish would hold up better. The best is Epifanes. Lowe's in my area sells a Cabot marine spar that works pretty good. You would get more life out of any spar if when you see the sheen starting to fail brush a fresh coat of finish on. Once the sheen starts breaking down it will allow water to penetrate and a fresh coat would renew it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts