Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cabinet doors, each door roughly 12x34 with rail and stile frame.

How big should i rip my panel pieces for glue up. I'm assuming its a balance of big enough for looks and small enough for stability.

Panel will be flat on the front and total 1/2" thick.

These doors are small so I'm guess two pieces but I do have wider doors in my future.

Thanks

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Thanks cabinetman. Your name reminds me of a super hero alias like superman etc...
I was going to use Superman, but I thought it was a bit overt even for my personality.:laughing:

Back to your panels. For ½" panels for that width their thickness are less likely to have movements that ¾" would have. But an interesting characteristic that glued panels can exhibit is the results of a non uniform panel. IOW, because of a glue joint, those mating edges become a stiffener for each panel that doesn't exist across the rest of the panel. For most cases a well acclimated and glued panel can provide a very stable panel.

In some cases one of the faces (front or back) may appear to be proud along a glue joint. For ¾" panels on wider doors, a three panel glue up would offer better balance IMO.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I was going to use Superman, but I thought it was a bit overt even for my personality.:laughing:

Back to your panels. For ½" panels for that width their thickness are less likely to have movements that ¾" would have. But an interesting characteristic that glued panels can exhibit is the results of a non uniform panel. IOW, because of a glue joint, those mating edges become a stiffener for each panel that doesn't exist across the rest of the panel. For most cases a well acclimated and glued panel can provide a very stable panel.

In some cases one of the faces (front or back) may appear to be proud along a glue joint. For ¾" panels on wider doors, a three panel glue up would offer better balance IMO.

Excellent information as always. I wish I would have known that sooner......I did 26 panels (3/4 thickness) for thos cabinets i just built. I ripped board widths of 2.5 and 3.5 inches wide for all of the panels. Would have saved me some time for sure but now I am wondering if I may have caused myself future grief by going with narrower boards. Panels were anywhere from 10 inches wide to 20 inches wide.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tom 5151, Just my $.02, I've never had a problem with narrower boards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts