Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door/drawer design. Can anyone point me to a good site that has info on different door construction?

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
What you have illustrated just looks like tongue and groove construction with a flat panel. All you would need is a tongue and groove router bit set and the panel could just be 1/4" plywood. Another option would be to purchase a coping and sticking cabinet door set. Instead of the inside edge of the door being square it would have a molded edge on it. The procedure would be basically the same. You would mill the ends of the rails first and then run the groove on the edges.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time constraints

Because of time constraints etc. I'm looking into door/drawer face fabricators. I can get 2 doors and 3 drawers in nice hardwood for around 150 bucks. Can I say Cabinet Door World here? Any opinions on this? Or any other fab'ers that sponsor? I can make the rest of the cabinet in one day, and the wife cannot complain if I let her pick out the door style. :icon_smile:

·
John
3,028 Posts
Because of time constraints etc. I'm looking into door/drawer face fabricators. I can get 2 doors and 3 drawers in nice hardwood for around 150 bucks. Can I say Cabinet Door World here? Any opinions on this? Or any other fab'ers that sponsor? I can make the rest of the cabinet in one day, and the wife cannot complain if I let her pick out the door style. :icon_smile:
If you aren't set up to do doors, $150 might be a good deal. If you do have the tools the decision is whether you have more money than time to put into it. I'm thinking materials for what you have pictured, in a nice hardwood, would run about half or less than the price of the doors. If you haven't got the tooling, ie router table, you will have time and money tied up in getting one of those up and running. :smile:

Reactions: pmaru77

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have the right tools to make the job go smoothly. I have a Ryobi router that came with a crappy table, but the table has been stiing outside for 4 years. At one time I was going to make a router table that had some size. I have a contractors table saw, but do not like doing finish work on it. I do have a Festool plunge saw for parting out plywood, and a compound mitre saw is Makita. So no planar makes me rely on good even stock which is not exactly reliable. I have a Kreg jig but don't think it is right to make doors with it. I have a cheap biscuit cutter. You can probably see why I'm looking at purch. fab doors. But the killer is the wife. She is on the warpath. Quote "You're not going to make the vanity are you?"

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
You have the tools that you need. If you do not think of them as being inadequate and just use them then you can do the job.

George

·
John
3,028 Posts
I agree with George. You are pretty well set up for what you are looking to do. The Festool should give you plenty of accuracy for the larger pieces and the tongue/groove flat panel doors can be done fairly easily on the little Ryobi table. I have neither a planer nor a jointer so I do rely on 4S4 stock from the BB and that hasn't been an issue other than the cost. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts