Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not thinking straight today or this week perhaps. I've got 22 upper cabinet doors to make of which only 5 are the same width. I need to put arches in the lower rails( see lovely image). I could make 17 templates, but is there a much simpliar way that I'm just not thinking of? Shaper with pattern bit.

Pattern Text Pattern Design Diagram

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I don't own a shaper but I would use my Bosh jig saw. A few quick measurements and a slow steady cut. If I needed to have a shape rather then a smooth straight cut, I would cut and add the profile with a router.

·
Registered
27,736 Posts
I would just make about three patterns with different size arches and let the straight part vary depending on the rail size. This is what is done when the door panels have a arched top. Another option is you could put the same radius from each end and just let the middle be straight.

·
bzguy
581 Posts
This looks like a "tombstone" door with a top rail on the bottom?
If you really want them to have the same sized flat spots on each side you can jig up a router with straight-cut bit.
I just plunge or drill it though a 6" wide or so length of ply.
Then I screw little plywood cleats into that piece over the router base to hold it down tight.
Draw a center line down the piece and add a screw moved to correct radius for each rail.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If there is a straight part to the arch, I would make a template, on a sled, with hold down, to use on the router table, after cutting close to line on the band saw. You could route, 1 curved end and part of the straight area, then unclamp the piece, and slide to the other end of the template, and route that end.

I made a clamp down sled like that, when making a bunch of boat hand rails. Worked great.

You could just cut very close on the band saw (or right on the line if you can!) and sand to the line on a oss. I prefer to make a template, to get easy, identical perfect radius's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.