Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 500+ bowls, I sometimes get bored with the dozen or so shapes that I use for most of my bowls and just for kicks try something new. Sometimes it works out well, sometimes not. This one was an attempt, reasonably successful, to do one that would have the cross section of a donut on a plate. Like almost all of my bowls, it's a pedestal bowl, so it's really a donut on a plate on a pedestal.

Ya gotta love that piece of staghorn sumac and the symmetry of the sycamore ray flakes is also nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
:blink: beautiful....thanks for sharing

I'm such a noobe..........I've turned 1 bowl
I'm getting some more stuff so I can turn more.

My first was very crude and didn't have the right tools

But I'm learning and always inspired by you guys.....

Again...............:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty cool design Phinds. I like all the random woods, are was it planed? Nice work.
Well, planned is pretty strong. The general CONCEPT was planned, and the wood selection, done one piece at a time, was done for contrast and complimentarity both, but the end product is as much random as planned. You can see more what I mean if you check out the bowl site linked to in the site listed in my signature.

Paul

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Cman ... just FYI, I've turned all of my bowls on a bottom of the line HF lathe. Since I don't use any heavy or irregular-shape-to-start-with type chunks of wood the way some turners have to contend with, using a low-end lathe is not really a problem.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Looks cool Phinds.
Put a glass ashtray in the center and sell it to the cigar shops. Looks like a perfect ashtray.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
mucho bueno...

would love to see a tutorial of you making one of these from start to finish! looks amazing! i'm a color loving guy so the contrasting woods wows me! like ive mentioned before...the guitar im working on is 3 contrasting woods! love it!!! :yes:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a discussion on the main page of my bowl site about "how do you DO that".

It can take hours to build up the blank although some of the smaller simpler ones probably only take 1 to 2. Unlike "normal" segmented turning, you can only do one cut/sand/glue at a time and the time I sit there looking at a partial blank and deciding what piece of wood to put on next ranges from next to nothing a minute or more, which adds up on the bowls that have dozens of pieces.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Thanks, Cman ... just FYI, I've turned all of my bowls on a bottom of the line HF lathe. Since I don't use any heavy or irregular-shape-to-start-with type chunks of wood the way some turners have to contend with, using a low-end lathe is not really a problem.
"Bottom of the line" could be a good description of my lathe. It's one of those 14" swing, 40" imports. I really couldn't turn it down for $65 and it was new and a floor model. It was cheap, and it only came with a spur bit. I've checked the threads and they are some weird metric size, not like a 3/4-16.

I never had a need for a lathe until I got a client that wanted me to restore one of those old Singer sewing machine cabinets that had the flip tops with the machine attached. It had four tiny drawers, with tiny knobs, and two were missing. I searched everywhere, and couldn't get an exact replacement.

Well, this lathe came along, and I said..."I'll give it a shot". Of course then I would need turning tools, so my next flea market jaunt I picked up a cheap set. Actually turning them was easier than I thought. My mentor was a short TV show where some guy did some turning. Since then I've only needed a spur, for doing stuff like newels, and balusters, and chair spindles.

I should hike down to Woodcraft with my spur bit and see what can be fitted to those threads. Maybe I can get some fancy face plates so I can give bowls a shot.

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
Well, planned is pretty strong. The general CONCEPT was planned, and the wood selection, done one piece at a time, was done for contrast and complimentarity both, but the end product is as much random as planned. You can see more what I mean if you check out the bowl site linked to in the site listed in my signature.

Paul
Well maybe I should clarify what I meant. I generally like balance in shape and pattern. If I was to try my hand at that which I plan on it would look more like the ones that Itchy makes. I can't think of the words I'm looking for (drawing a blank) but yours seems to have a unbalanced pattern. The colors contrast nicely but they are not equally the same from side to side. I like both but I would have a hard time laying out the different woods in such a way.

I hope I didn't confuse you with my clarification.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well maybe I should clarify what I meant. I generally like balance in shape and pattern. If I was to try my hand at that which I plan on it would look more like the ones that Itchy makes. I can't think of the words I'm looking for (drawing a blank) but yours seems to have a unbalanced pattern. The colors contrast nicely but they are not equally the same from side to side. I like both but I would have a hard time laying out the different woods in such a way.

I hope I didn't confuse you with my clarification.
If you poke around my site you'll find that many of my early bowl discussions specifically comment on my dislike of symmetry (the term I think you are looking for) while many of my more recent works have much more symmetry since I have come to either like it more or dislike it less depending on the day of the week.

·
Banned
6,839 Posts
If you poke around my site you'll find that many of my early bowl discussions specifically comment on my dislike of symmetry (the term I think you are looking for) while many of my more recent works have much more symmetry since I have come to either like it more or dislike it less depending on the day of the week.
Yeah that was it. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks

·
sawdust manufacturer
581 Posts
Beautiful piece!
You've made me search out this "staghorn sumac"...
You should be ashamed!:thumbsup:
p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts