Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how the last one turned out:




This new desk project is out of Cherry (mostly). The slabs / materials all came from a few trees that grew on the customers property. Now turning his former trees into a desk and some other odds and ends for him...




Didnt want to leave just an empty crack in the top this time so I routed out a few pockets and planted some of his walnut just beneath the cracks...




Then flipped it and routed out for the dog bones...




Used NO 'China' tools or materials on this project...

(even the beltsander used was a 'pre china' PCable model... LOL!)


Installed Dog Bones:


:smile:


Final results on the Bones and the Walnut under the cracks...


Top of table will be entirely flat when finished. Cracks are going to be filled with a clear 'stuff' and Walnut at the bottom of the cracks should still be visible... I went to a lot of trouble to make sure I got no excess glue and crap on the Walnut parts that will still be seen after this is all finished. :thumbsup:

Ran a Walnut spine down the center where I joined the two slabs. Top is NOT coming apart down the line if I can help it... :no: Spline helped align things as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW! Going to be beautiful. You have some serious tools.
That FaceFrame table was used and SERIOUSLY abused when we got it. I scraped enough glue off it to fill a 5 gallon bucket and then used aircraft grade paint stripper and naval jelly to take all the paint and rust off. Took it ALL down to bare metal before sanding and refinishing it.

Bought new nuts and bolts where needed for the red bars that form the actual 'square' and trued all of those up like they were 'supposed' to be...

Not counting my time there is less than 1500 dollars in that table (including replacement parts / paint /primers / strippers / new airline filters) and everything works flawlessly with no air leaks at all. Still have 2 more air clamps that go on it that I am only halfway done 'restoring'. Need to buy a few parts to get them back in working order but it should not cost much.

Bought used and abused at auction for cheap... :thumbsup: Restored during down-time or when slow... :yes:

Have already got a new air filter / moisture separator just for that table but still have to install that and do the plumbing to the shop compressor. That stuff still sits in the box waiting for another 'slow' spell. Trying not to use the table much until the air supply is done and it is 'clean' air.

That tool is not new. Just 'refurbished'... :smile: (and made in USA)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top