Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For me I think you guys are messing up the whole look when you use a contrasting wood for the bone, butterfly. They shout, hey look at me! Seems the whole reason for the look is to show off all the wood. Not what holds it together. Besides, it's like any joint. It will be seen.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

I used Maple (and the direction of the grain) in this case for the strength... Color was a side note - Strength was most important. :yes:

Same with the spline used... Maple is a hell of alot harder to rip apart than Walnut is when all else is equal (talking about the spline here and grain direction). A Walnut spline would have 'blended' better but would not have been as strong.

Good post. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
253 Posts
And then he can post pics of his 'fine work'... :no:

I’m really not one to enable others to continue behavior that I don’t approve of but this took me all but .3 seconds.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1269
Mighty fine work documented here. Second, I'm not sure you are aware but this IS a forum, if you’re going to get all bent out of shape and react like an embarrassed teenager when others criticize, critique or comment on what YOU post on a PUBLIC forum maybe you should get some thicker skin and accept other points of view, refrain from posting your work.... or you could just leave.
Hays
I should change my signature to “you just can’t fix stupid”

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
OnealWoodworking said:
I used Maple (and the direction of the grain) in this case for the strength... Color was a side note - Strength was most important. :yes:

Same with the spline used... Maple is a hell of alot harder to rip apart than Walnut is when all else is equal (talking about the spline here and grain direction). A Walnut spline would have 'blended' better but would not have been as strong.

Good post. :thumbsup:
Would it hurt your feelings if I doubt the fact that you need more strength in the bone. Ive never seen George use it. But I like the idea of no epoxy. That's just dumb.

Al

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Would it hurt your feelings if I doubt the fact that you need more strength in the bone. Ive never seen George use it. But I like the idea of no epoxy. That's just dumb.

Al

I am impressed that you KNOW who the guy is... :thumbsup:

Plan to use epoxy on 'some' stuff with this top. NOT the big crack... :no:

Mostly so she can write (and USE) the top as a desk without the pen finding a random void and punching through the paper...

Needs to be 'functional'. :yes:

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
OnealWoodworking said:
I am impressed that you KNOW who the guy is... :thumbsup:

Plan to use epoxy on 'some' stuff with this top. NOT the big crack... :no:

Mostly so she can write (and USE) the top as a desk without the pen finding a random void and punching through the paper...

Needs to be 'functional'. :yes:
I am impressed that you KNOW who the guy is...

Oh please. I've been a woodworker since 1970. Also, no one writes at a desk anymore and writing on a walnut desk would require a blotter to keep from denting the wood. But you knew that.

Al

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I think Onealwoodworking and ibangwood should get together; or maybe they're the same person ;-0.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts