Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something a bit different for me. This was a commission from a customer/friend who brought her husky to our pet resort for many years. They were extremely tightly bonded. She wanted me to design something that represents how I saw her dog. That was a tough request! Her dog was long, lean and elegant with blue eyes that looked right through you. He always looked like he knew something I didn't. I had to put a touch of turquoise to represent those piercing eyes. I was shooting for something spiritual but with clean simple lines. I hope you like it.
Cedar elm from our property (by request), walnut finial and sleeping beauty turquoise.

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill White said:
Very well done. How about some tips on the stone addition to turnings? I've seen it, but no tutorials. Bill
Thanks, Bill. I do it a little differently than some. I use unstabilized turquoise that I crush until I have small pieces down to fine powder. I fit individual chunks into the voids like puzzle pieces, from large to small, using thin CA to set them. Then I fill spaces in between chunks with fine sand then powder, using thin CA to wash it in until no visible gaps are left. Then I flood it with medium CA to fill any unseen gaps beneath the surface. Then sand it flush and finish.
The tip of the finial (which I'm still not sure I love) is a whole different process I'll get into if anybody is interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts