Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a 10" dewalt blade for my ripping on my table saw and have a stacked dado. I can't remember the brand. I have been looking at different brands. Does the brand of the blade cut that much better? What do you use?

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
Yes!!! And also what type of blade it is. I have a separate thin kerf glue line rip blade, and a separate cross cut blade as well as my dado set.

I would avoid anything below the price point of a diablo blade ( essentially Freud blades with less resharpening capability). Diablo blades are considered to be pretty decent blades. I myself prefer the Freud line of blades which I feel are great quality and a decent price. Then the premium lines like Forrest are some of the best out there.

All in all....blade quality makes a big difference.

·
Box Maker
49 Posts
I have blades dedicated to ripping, cross-cutting, plywood, grooves (FTB Rip blade) as well as a dado set. I even have a "stunt" blade that I'll pull out now and then for odd-ball applications or when sawing reclaimed lumber that might have some metal in it. Yeah I know...all those blades and no metal detector. Well, I don't use reclaimed lumber that often so....Ive never had a thin kerf blade but understand their benefits and applications. Just never had much call for one.

There are a lot of good blades out there. Amana, Freud, Systematic and many others that are worthy of resharpening several times. I will offer that I've not found the WWII blades significantly better than the brands I've mentioned above but other very capable woodworkers probably won't share that opinion. Just never could justify the extra cost.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Big difference. When I put a Freud in my Bosch table saw to replace the blade it came with, it was like I upgraded the motor, ripping through hardwood with ease.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
An Avenger 6" set is on sale for $54 shipped....that's about cheap as a set that worth buying gets. Avenger is associated with Oshlun. The Delta/DeWalt 7670 is best set in the $100 range I've used to date. Oshlun, Freud, Irwin, and CMT are other good sets in the < $100 range. The Infinity Dadonator is the best set I've used so far at any price. I'd avoid all wobble sets, steel sets, the Vermont American, Avanti sets at HD, Mibro, and most other cheaper sets.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes. Different brands of blades differ in quality. Some work well but some just don't. Get the decent and right blade for your application.

·
Registered
618 Posts
An Avenger 6" set is on sale for $54 shipped....that's about cheap as a set that worth buying gets. Avenger is associated with Oshlun. The Delta/DeWalt 7670 is best set in the $100 range I've used to date. Oshlun, Freud, Irwin, and CMT are other good sets in the < $100 range. The Infinity Dadonator is the best set I've used so far at any price. I'd avoid all wobble sets, steel sets, the Vermont American, Avanti sets at HD, Mibro, and most other cheaper sets.
Occasionally you can find others on super clearance. I got 2 sets of CMT Dado stacks last year at $12 each when Lowes was clearing room for their Irwin blades. I went back the next day to buy the last couple but they were all gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts