Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in central Texas where the sun beats on our front door much of the day. I have to refinish the exterior of the door annually even if I use well known marine finishes. Will a solid color paint last longer?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
The short answer to your question is absolutely.

Clear finishes peel because the UV rays from the sun break down the surface of the wood breaking the bond between the wood and the varnish. If the sun can’t get though, the finish holds up longer.

My favorite example is that I made a lovely mahogany and ash tiller for my boat and coated it with many coats of varnish. Then I made a canvas cover for the tiller to cover it when not in use. That finish lasted a long, long time, just by keeping the sun off of it. But, a cover for the door isn’t very practical, so you’re kind of stuck with paint.

Alternatively, there are marine spar varnishes with UV inhibitors that last a bit longer, but bottom line is that if the sun can get through it, it’s going to break down.

·
Registered
722 Posts
timely post - as I have been procrastinating on refinishing our weathered (varnished or polyurethaned, I don't know which) front door.

I did get as far as deciding on paint.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your helpful information! I'm going to try to find a good quality very dark brown (to match our house trim - light colors won't work) acrylic paint. Any suggestions on a really good quality brand?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Whats wrong with Sherwin Williams?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts