Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a Jet Proshop saw and it came with a riving knife and a splitter. However, I also bought a new Forrest WW2 thin kerf blade. Does anyone know if there is a thin kerf riving knife that fits the Jet Proshop?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I don't really know the answer to your question, but here's a link to the manual online.

In general, as long as the blade kerf is at least as wide as the riving knife, it should be ok. Being a less than a 2hp motor, I'd be surprised if the knife was a full 1/8" vs 3/32" thin kerf. IIRC, the WWII TK is ~ 0.100". You can always measure the thickness of the riving knife to find out.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did measure them and the kerf is right at 3/32 or .9375. The riving knife says minimum blade kerf is 3mm or .118. The knife is bigger than the blade and as such, pinches the cut against the fence. The knife forces the kerf to widen in order to finish the cut. I have seen thin kerf knives for other saws, I just hoped someone would know whether there is an aftermarket that works or if another company's knife is compatible. I've even seen a thin kerf knife for the Jet Xacta but don't know if this will fit my ProShop.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I did measure them and the kerf is right at 3/32 or .9375. The riving knife says minimum blade kerf is 3mm or .118. The knife is bigger than the blade and as such, pinches the cut against the fence. The knife forces the kerf to widen in order to finish the cut. I have seen thin kerf knives for other saws, I just hoped someone would know whether there is an aftermarket that works or if another company's knife is compatible. I've even seen a thin kerf knife for the Jet Xacta but don't know if this will fit my ProShop.
That's kind of a bummer. Some folks have crafted their own riving knives out of thin kerf blade stock or sheet steel. There's also the option of returning the WWII and picking up an $18 Delta 35-7657 (0.118" kerf)....almost full kerf, but not quite. I can't say that it's the equal of a WWII, but it's surprisingly close for a fraction of the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts