Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a complete novice and I'm looking for a piece of hardware that I know exists, but I can't figure out what it's called. I've made an (awful) drawing, but hopefully it gets the point across. Essentially what I'm looking for is a piece of metal with a lip that protrudes that can be screwed into a piece of wood. There would be a corresponding piece of hardware that would also screw into a piece of wood which would have a slot for the lip to slide into place.

Anyone??

Thanks!

-Nate

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the item in the link is close what I'm looking for. Thanks for sending!

In terms of describing what I plan to use it for:

I'm building some stands for sound absorption panels. The panels are rigid fiberglass wrapped in muslin and mounted to wood frames that are 24''/48''. I'd like to be able to remove the panels easily from the stands. I was hoping I could find a piece of hardware that would allow me to slide the panels easily in and out of the stands. So, the panel would have the male and the stands the female. Make sense?

Are there variations on this kind of thing? Is what I'm looking for a fastener?

Thanks for your help.

-Nate

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Sorry I don't have a picture, but it sounds like french cleats would solve your problem. If you have a table saw, they are very easy to make. Try googling "french cleats" or search this site. I have a few in use in my workshop, so if you strike out searching, let me know and I'll take my camera into my shop and I'll show you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like french cleats or thin flush mounting will both work.
Thanks for everyone's help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts