Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
jpmotorman said:
I found this log in the creek on my property here in louisiana. So I brought it home and put a piece of it on my woodmizer. It's buitiful wood but I'm not sure what kind it is, ? Is any one familiar with this grain
Maybe gum?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am not a expert, but wood that has been submerged for many decades or centuries will pick up that dark and light coloration.
Going by the twisted grain of the log I would guess it is black gum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking that it could be a gum but wasn't sure . I'm fairly new at the saw milling business and I've cut just about every other tree except gum. The twist threw me off , there's a lot of gum trees in my area and I never noticed the twist or is it something that is revealed after the bark is gone

Thanks for y'all's help

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Not sure what part of LA you are in but I'm in SE Louisiana - Gonzales.

I pull and saw sinker in the area with a friend and have seen a lot of species from down here.

The picture of the sawn board isn't clear enough to make a determination but I'm pretty sure I could ID it with better pictures. The color can't be considered in determining sinker because as was pointed out above the water temperature, salinity and mineral content particular to each local play a huge role in the final color.

Do you have any better pictures? How far are you from me? Feel free to email higher res pictures to me if you would like for me to evaluate.

Regards,
Jean

[email protected]
www.creoleproject.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have seen from splitting firewood that gum is impossible to split. especially, Black Gum. There are other species of gum but I am not up on them.

I do know that in black gum, the grain spirals around the trunk as the tree grows. The kicker is that it changes direction every four years or so.
This makes an impossible to split wood, and don't expect it to plane very well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm no expert either, but considering your location, could it be cypress. I pulled this picture off Firefox images. Maybe???

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I was going to vote for sinker cypress as well. I'm no expert, but when did that every stop me from opening my mouth.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
After looking at the pictures you e-mailed it looks like Cypress or Tupelo (tupelo gum). Tupelo sinker can at times be tough to distinguish from Cypress so I have to include it as a possibility however it is less likely.

Again the pictures aren't much to go by but that's my guestimate based on them.

I will reply to your email question tomorrow when I am around a computer for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts