Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of users on this site use Doctors Woodshop finises, so I am hoping your experience can help me out.

I bought several products from him and absolutely love the results and ease of application. I just finished a stopper that was a burl of some kind and it contains 3-4 worm holes. I want to use the Walnut oil/Wax/Shellac finish but am wondering if this finish will seal the holes.

What do you do guys typically do? Fill the holes with CA THEN use DW finish? Just use DW finish? Or skip DW finish and use only CA glue?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I don't want to apply the finish without looking into this because the wood is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I don't worry about filling natural holes like that. I just apply finish right over and then use a small pick to clean them out if needed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will go that route. I would think IF I wanted to go CA, apply after the doctors woodshop finish.
But I agree, its just one wormhole goes right through the stopper....Was wondering about options.

Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you want to fill the worm holes it's pretty simple. I use some coffee grounds that I reground with the grinder and put a pinch of it in the hole and add thin CA. Add accelorator and sand it smooth. It works great and looks natural.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts