Woodworking Talk banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
27,747 Posts
I might be wrong...it happened once before

99.7 % of us here DO woodworking in various degrees and expertise, and the only writing about it consists of the posts and some photos here. The woodworking writers are generally employed by the magazines like Wood, Popular Woodworking and Fine Wood Working etc.
I think it's a whole 'nother personality type who wants to write although there are some incredibly talented woodworkers who do make their living writing about it.

If there are any writers here... come out of the closet and make your self known. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its good to see that the OP replied. I was starting to think that it was a spam, 1 and done, thread.

I'm still not quite sold on this idea. I'm all for this guy and his buddy making money..shoot, make a bunch of it! But, i dont know how asking someone else to provide his inventory for his new buiness, for free, really makes sense.

if the OP could please reply to that, i would appreciate it. I'm not trying to be a smart *ss about it, i really may be looking at this the wrong way.

A) Your "product" would be interesting and informative wood working articles.
B) You dont have that product, or create it your self, so you went to the "manufacturer" that has that product...The members of this website.
C) You then ask these strangers to give, 100% free, the inventory you need to make your business.
D) You are willing to tell everyone who gave you the free inventory for your bussiness.
E) IF, the person that gives you your free invoentory, does a REALLY good job, you "may" be willing to give them a lit bit of the profit that you earned off thier free inventory.

Does that sum it up?

I know you think that people are giving this "inventory" away here, and all over the web...but the difference is this site makes money by providing a service, not information on wood working. They created and maintain a forum. The content of that forum is up to the members and only directed to a specif topic by the host. No where did i get told i must provide a valuable product, so they can continue to earn. They simply need me to follow some simple guidelines to use THEIR service. In return for providing me with this service, they get to use my attendence to sell marketing space to an advertiser.

Now your site is not providing me with any service, if i am a writer (not that i am qualified to be one..lol). Your site would just be using me to make the product. Those that visit the site would not be there to "forum" but to read the info created by the "free inventory givers".

I love the idea. it sounds like your into this hobby as much as alot of the addicts here. Its great to be interested in making your fun, your money. (we should all work towards that) BUT, i think you need to really consider what you are asking writers to do, and then try and figure out how you are going to compensate them for this inventory you are getting from them. Perhaps a % of ownership for top contributors. Editorial rights on the entire site or that section. A contract to pay $*** in the event $*** is made from THIER product. You may be thinking "how the heck can i promise to pay these people, when i dont even know this will work or earn enough money", well if YOU arent sure you can make this work, and you are getting the benifit if it does, then how can you ask someone else to give you your inventory for free with NO promise to earn? If business was that easy to start up and theat cheap and with that little of risk, we would all own one...or 10.

Could you imagine if i called up Ford or Chevy or Dodge and said i was going to open up a new car dealership and until i was sure that i could sell their cars i needed them to give me my inventory for free. No contract, no promise, no %, just the "hope" that i make a good dealership and then i 'may' start buying their inventory from them. You may not think this is the same, but really it is.

Wish you well. Hopefully you have some things to contribute to this forum.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The problem is the OP is asking for your work for his profit.
I'm thinking it's more the fact that the OP came here immediately asking for something without first becoming known within this community. We have no idea who this person is and what he or she will do with what we give them. That's a very understandable reaction.

What makes me curious is why the OP would think nothing of being a stranger coming here asking for handouts. Or that in doing so he or she might be received with some skepticism.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I'm thinking it's more the fact that the OP came here immediately asking for something without first becoming known within this community. We have no idea who this person is and what he or she will do with what we give them. That's a very understandable reaction.

What makes me curious is why the OP would think nothing of being a stranger coming here asking for handouts. Or that in doing so he or she might be received with some skepticism.
The way I see it he is not here looking for handouts, in both posts, his original and followup he mentions linking content from a site you may have to his site, a win, win for both and not unusual in the web publishing world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I appreciate the comments form everyone and to the people who have contacted me directly. I've actually been a reader of this forum for the past several months, but now as an official member, I plan to be an active participant in other discussions. Thanks again everyone

41 - 45 of 45 Posts