Woodworking Talk banner

When do you wear a faceshield when turning:

• Everytime I turn something!

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Sometimes I do, depending on what I'm turning.

Votes: 15 29.4%
  • Hardly ever

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Never... they are a pain in the butt!

Votes: 5 9.8%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you may know, I just recently acquired a new (to me) lathe, and I have yet to purchase turning chisels, or a face shield. Since both are around the same amount, and I only want to purchase one of them right now, I am leaning towards the chisels, but the safety nazi in me tells me to get the face shield.

I have seen some people turn without faceshields, and that led me to this poll.... Since I have NEVER used a lathe to turn anything, I don't know what to expect.... I have watched a few people on TV turn, and they all suggest to wear one (probably for disclaimer purposes).

FYI... I left the poll results annonymous.... so please answer accurately

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Absolutely. If something flies off that lathe at high speed, you could end up with something sticking out of your forehead or worse. I don't have a full set of 10 fingers because of a bad decision and It's a pain in the butt. Losing an eye would be even worse. I have occasionally turned a pen on a mandrel with just safety glasses, but even that is probably unwise. I've talked to ER docs and nurses that say finding wood slivers in an eye is even harder than finding metal because wood won't always show up in an x-ray. I recently read a post from someone who had a spinning chuck come out. If that takes a bad turn and hits you, it's going to leave a mark.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm also a newbe to turning, and wondered the same thing. The other thing was that the cheapo AO Safety shields I had been using for other stuff had bands that kept breaking. So I bought a UVEX and found it a lot less hassle than the cheaper models (also better made). They are really unhandy, but I don't want to risk my eyes, ya' know?

Reactions: thegrgyle

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that exact faceshield on my wishlist on Amazon. How do you like it Fred? Does it fog up at all?

·
Registered
28 Posts
now every time

I use to not wear a shield, just safety glasses, until my 2nd bowl explosion with a glancing blow off my glasses. I switched to a cheep face shield and now I have a bionic full face shield and safety glasses. I feel better.

Now I would not even think about turning with out one.

Dan J.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Fred Hargis said:
I'm also a newbe to turning, and wondered the same thing. The other thing was that the cheapo AO Safety shields I had been using for other stuff had bands that kept breaking. So I bought a Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S8510-Polycarbonate-Anti-Fog-Hardcoat/dp/B001VY3ACE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365617581&sr=8-1&keywords=uvex+face+shield and found it a lot less hassle than the cheaper models (also better made). They are really unhandy, but I don't want to risk my eyes, ya' know?
Please also keep in mind that there is a huge difference between faceshields. Most cheaper ones do not offer much protection from flying objects. When looking for a faceshield, look for the ANSI Z87 endorsement. This certifies that it meets certain impact standards. Ever better is Z87+, which meets high impact standards either should be fine for woodturning, even at higher RPMs.

The faceshield above is one of the better ones I've seen.

Mark

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I grew up not using a face shield. Stupid I know but the cheap ones were just that, cheap, didn't fit well and the image was distorted. I also tend to turn lots of small stuff where a face shield isn't really needed.
I just bought the UVEX face shield and it's turning me into a face shield wearer. It comfortable, easily adjustable and the "glass" is very clear and undistorted.
As a new turner, especially if you turn anything larger than pens you should wear a face shield. Too many people have been hurt, some badly and some killed. Bite the bullet and get it. First of all it just keeps all the crap out of your eyes. I wear safety glasses (always wear safety glasses no matter what) but dust of small chips still get around them and into your eye and you have to stop what your doing and clean them out. With the UVEX shield this isn't a problem.

·
7,222 Posts
I use it when I am turning, but sometimes not when sanding.

I have this one. My glasses do not fog up with this face shield.

The description says Z87, but I checked the visor and it is stamped Z87.1+ so the better specification.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56669&cat=1,42207

So far I have had a few things fall off the lathe due to a catch, but happy that so far no turning broke apart.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Dave Paine said:
I use it when I am turning, but sometimes not when sanding.

I have this one. My glasses do not fog up with this face shield.

The description says Z87, but I checked the visor and it is stamped Z87.1+ so the better specification.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=56669&cat=1,42207

So far I have had a few things fall off the lathe due to a catch, but happy that so far no turning broke apart.
Dave,

I'm pretty sure the faceshield you linked to is the same as the UVEX above. Sperion also makes one just like it. If you price around, you can get those for about $40 plus tax/shipping. I suggest looking for a safety supply store in your area. You might be able to get one there.

Mark

·
Banned
139 Posts
I hate to admit it but no i dont. Ive always known i needed one and maybe this thread is just the thing to get me going. I like that one of amazon and might just make an order tonite. Thanks guys.

·
7,222 Posts
Dave,

I'm pretty sure the faceshield you linked to is the same as the UVEX above. Sperion also makes one just like it. If you price around, you can get those for about $40 plus tax/shipping. I suggest looking for a safety supply store in your area. You might be able to get one there.

Mark
Thanks for the tip, but I already bought this from Lee Valley. It is the UVEX, although they do not mention on the LV site.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I always wear a face shield turning or sanding. Too many close calls after I purchased one and 1 hit on my first turning ever that shattered a tooth before I got one. I wont even let someone near my lathe without wearing one.

·
Registered
26,333 Posts
I probably would wear a face shield if I didn't wear perscription glasses. I normally can direct the shavings away from me so I don't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Absolutely.I have taken a few hits that would have sent me to emergency with out it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've scratched my eye on two separate occasions, neither in the woodshop. But those two times were miserable. I figure if those times had me wishing I just had glasses on, the last thing I want is a bowl coming at my face at 800 rpm. You won't be playing in the woodshop if you find yourself in the ER.

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate to admit it but no i dont. Ive always known i needed one and maybe this thread is just the thing to get me going. I like that one of amazon and might just make an order tonite. Thanks guys.
If this thread has helped raise the safety bar in your shop, then it was worth it.

I probably would wear a face shield if I didn't wear perscription glasses. I normally can direct the shavings away from me so I don't worry about it too much.
My understanding for wearing the face shield is to protect you more from any mishaps on the lathe, like a piece of wood exploding cuz you cut too deep. I don't think the shavings are the reason why someone wears a face shield, though it does really help.

I am enjoying the response to this poll, and I will make getting the face shield #1 on my list of priorities. The lathe chisels will have to wait, and maybe I can get them on sale if I keep an eye on them.

Thank you to everyone for posting.... You persuaded me.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts