Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a quick question for the cabinet guys. I am building my first cabinet, which is a base cabinet in a bonus room. Do you typically put a top coat on the face frame? I am staining and using lacquer to finish the doors, but am wondering whether the face frames typically get the same treatment?

Jeremy

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
I've got a quick question for the cabinet guys. I am building my first cabinet, which is a base cabinet in a bonus room. Do you typically put a top coat on the face frame? I am staining and using lacquer to finish the doors, but am wondering whether the face frames typically get the same treatment?

Jeremy
If I do a face frame it gets the same finish schedule.

·
Registered
13,307 Posts
I am having a problem understanding the question.

Are you thinking of doing something different to the face frame then the remainder of the cabinet?

I am with Cabinetman. Anytime I build with a face frame it is just part of the cabinet and gets the same treatment.

George

·
Registered
27,767 Posts
When I build cabinets I normally stain the faceframe and doors and leave the interior of the cabinet natural wood so it it light in color. To make it easier to keep the stain off the interior I stain the faceframe before I assemble the cabinet. Then I seal and finish the interior and exterior of the cabinet with the same finish as the doors.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. The cabinet interior is melamine and the face frame is stained hardwood to match the doors. I just wasn't sure if it is typical to lacquer the face frame to match the doors. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts