Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that during a project where I am using both plywood and hardwood, I typically keep my Freud 80T plywood blade on my table saw for the entire project, whether I'm cutting plywood or hardwood.

Is this pretty typical, or should I be changing my TS blade depending on the wood I'm cutting?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I'm always swapping out my blades. I'm not a contractor or in business - just lucky enough to be retired and living the good life. I have an 80T plywood/ laminate blade + 2 60T hardwood blades + a good rip blade + a contractor's combination blade I use for soft woods. I've had these blades for at least 12 years and they have never been sharpened. I clean them when they need it, but they still don't need a sharpening.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just being lazy since it seems I never get enough shop time. I want to be cutting rather than changing blades.

·
Walburg Tx
48 Posts
I've used the Porter Cable combo blade equal to 50 T and now have an Avanti 60 T on my TS. Both are great all around blades. Just remember if ripping to slow down the push the more teeth the slower/easier you push.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Masterjer said:
I find that during a project where I am using both plywood and hardwood, I typically keep my Freud 80T plywood blade on my table saw for the entire project, whether I'm cutting plywood or hardwood.

Is this pretty typical, or should I be changing my TS blade depending on the wood I'm cutting?
I use a Freud combination 40t fusion blade, and couldn't have any complaints on the quality of cut, even cross cutting ply when the stuff is small enough to manage through a ts. But to answer your question, yes I use the same blade from start to finish on one project.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It varies depending on how critical the particular cut is, and how suitable the current blade is for the task. Most of the time I keep a good general purpose/combo blade in place for convenience (Infinity Super General, Combomax, Delta 7657, DW7640, Oshlun, or Tenryu RS25550), but for I'll switch to a 60T (Infinity 010-060) or 80T Hi-ATB (CMT 210.080.10) blade for fine ply cuts and fine crosscuts, and will switch to a 20T (Amana RB1020) or 30T (Delta 7653) rip blade if I have a lot thicker rips to do.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
I use a Freud comination blade most of the time, but switch to a ripping blade if I have a lot of, or heavy ripping to do.

·
Super Moderator
5,164 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just being lazy since it seems I never get enough shop time. I want to be cutting rather than changing blades.
You answered your own question. No matter which blades you own, if you have a better one to make a cut, take the minute or two to change it. In the end, your project will turn out better and you'll probably save the time back and then some ending up with a better cut in the first place. Don't be in a hurry in your shop.
Mike Hawkins:smile:

·
Registered
531 Posts
When I have multiple cuts like you describe, I try to do all of the ones that suit a particular blade at the same time, switch blades and then do the others. Sometimes it's not possible to do it that way and if not, then I do pretty much as Scott mentioned - if the cut is important I switch, if it's not I'll leave it if the current blade can do the job.
I don't like to use my 80 tooth for cuts that don't need it - only so I can extend it's life, not for any wood-religion reasons.

·
Registered
336 Posts
+4 I use my Freud combo 60 tooth blades for most cuts, but change to a cabide tip 27 tooth for all rip sawing. Just takes a few minutes to change blades, and I find it makes for quicker rip cuts when I need them.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
It only makes sense to change blades for the job at hand. Trying to rip with a plywood blade is tough going and tends to burn the wood.

Lately I've been using a Marples blade (Combination, 40 or 50T in groups of 1R + 4 ATB) that works very well. For plywood I will change to a plywood blade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts